Denagard Dosage

Just reading through all these old posts as about to use Denaguard for the first time. Thanks they're a help. Just a clarification question. What's the thought in eating eggs during/after a treatment and what length of time do people think you should treat for? 3 or 5 days? Thanks so much in advance! I have. It's who have always been healthy but with all the sudden weather changes recently the stress I think has allowed their bodies to give way to crd. They've never had antibiotic feed and I make them formented grains for food natural probiotics. They're still laying but I have a lot of sneezing, runny noses and one or two are gurgling when they breath. A lot are doing the open mouth breathing right now too. Appreciate any help In Advance.
The withdrawal time in this case is more of a legal question than a medical question. There are European countries where it is legal to use, and there is no withdrawal time, and there are countries (such as the US) where it is not legal to use in poultry if you're going to be selling the meat or eggs. So technically, the right answer is that since this is not a drug that is approved in the US for use in chickens, if you chose to use it off label, there should be a lifetime withdrawal for meat and eggs. However, what someone decides to do with food products grown for one's own personal consumption is not something that the USDA or FDA gets involved with, and the lack of concern about this product in other countries that have even tighter drug residue rules than the US lead me to suspect that drug residues are non-existent with this medication. However, that is just my personal suspicion, and I am not suggesting that I have any facts to arrive at that conclusion, or that I have any knowledge to suggest that it is safe to consume eggs after using this medication. It is a personal decision that each person should decide for themselves. I would highly recommend that you not sell eggs from any treated birds, ever, as that would be illegal to do, and I would also recommend that you not give away eggs to anyone from these birds. At the very least, it would be unethical to allow people to eat these eggs without telling them that the birds were treated with an off-label antibiotic and let them decide for themselves if they want to take the risk, if one exists.

I had a question about the shelf-life of the mixed product. Now I know the literature that came with it says to pour the old mix out and replace it with fresh every 24 hours but I’d like to keep a preventative dose in their water at all times and mixing it every day wouldn’t even be possible for me. I know that there is a powdered form and maybe I’ll have to mix it dry with their pellets but I was curious if somehow mixing with water degrades the product, if it just doesn’t stay mixed or if throwing the old product out just has to do with avoiding dirty water. I use nipple waterers so the water is always clean. Seems odd that it has a shelf life in the concentrated form with over a year of shelf life but mixing it with pure water would cause it to go bad in a day.

Without going back through all the posts, where was a capsule mentioned? If you first hit the quote button, then ask the question, you can be sure that the reader has the right context to answer your question.

But regarding pills and capsules, I give them to most of my birds directly all the time. Unless they are small chicks or bantams, adult LF chickens can swallow very large things, and open their mouths very wide. I have seen them swallow small mice whole!

Birds that can be caught can be given liquid medication by oral syringe. If they can be taken to an area away from the flock for a moment, liquid medication can be soaked up in bread and given as a treat (if it doesn't taste bad), or it can be mixed with a small amount of food that will be eaten all at once. If the medication is a capsule or a pill, the medication can be given directly (like "pilling" a dog or a cat), or it can be wrapped in a piece of bread or tiny piece of pancake or wrapped in a flat piece of "Greenies Pill Pocket" material (the chicken flavored ones made for dogs work the best for poultry) and offered by hand as a treat, or place in a small bowl with a tablespoon of grain where it will likely be readily eaten. Some poultry will eat some pills directly without them being wrapped in anything. I once had a pet chicken with heart disease. She was on numerous medications. She was fed four times daily, and there were numerous medications included with each meal. The liquid medications were soaked up by her crumbles, or mixed into yogart or cooked rice or baby food, and the pills and capsules were just set in the bowl on top of the food. She ate everything readily. There was only one tablet that she ever disliked. It was a nasty tasting antibiotic. She picked it up in her beak, mouthed it a few times, and dropped it. That was the only one that ever had to be disguised. I wish all my birds were so cooperative!!
I applaud you for taking so much care of a chicken that had a heart disease. Most would let her waste away. Thank-You!

I had a question about the shelf-life of the mixed product. Now I know the literature that came with it says to pour the old mix out and replace it with fresh every 24 hours but I’d like to keep a preventative dose in their water at all times and mixing it every day wouldn’t even be possible for me. I know that there is a powdered form and maybe I’ll have to mix it dry with their pellets but I was curious if somehow mixing with water degrades the product, if it just doesn’t stay mixed or if throwing the old product out just has to do with avoiding dirty water. I use nipple waterers so the water is always clean. Seems odd that it has a shelf life in the concentrated form with over a year of shelf life but mixing it with pure water would cause it to go bad in a day.

I know little about Denagard use, but I would call the manufacturer or wait for more info here. You could also start a new thread of your own for more looks and comments. It should not matter whether the liquid concentrate is diluted with water, but they may advise adding a fresh mix daily so that the water does not get contaminated with bacteria by use. I have not read this thread, but isn't the prevention just used a few days each month, and at a lesser dose than the treatment dose?

Last edited:
i just purchased the product and gave it to my flock of 12 at the recommended dosage on the label of 3 teaspoons per gallon for 3-5 days. The flock is still sneezing at day 6 and a few have a diarrhea. Not sure where to go from here. They have received probiotics since day 6. I have other antibiotics on hand but I am reluctant to give those so close to the last dosage of Denagard. Any suggestions? I do not intend to dispose of this flock. I am currently adding an additional 40' x 32' foot run for them. They currently have a sufficient coop and run. They are my babies! I chose the Denagard as there is no egg withdrawal from it and everyone said it was an excellent fix. I just need to know if I need to wait a few more days for the symptoms to disappear.

i just purchased the product and gave it to my flock of 12 at the recommended dosage on the label of 3 teaspoons per gallon for 3-5 days. The flock is still sneezing at day 6 and a few have a diarrhea. Not sure where to go from here. They have received probiotics since day 6. I have other antibiotics on hand but I am reluctant to give those so close to the last dosage of Denagard. Any suggestions? I do not intend to dispose of this flock. I am currently adding an additional 40' x 32' foot run for them. They currently have a sufficient coop and run. They are my babies! I chose the Denagard as there is no egg withdrawal from it and everyone said it was an excellent fix. I just need to know if I need to wait a few more days for the symptoms to disappear.
A virus would not respond to any antibiotic, so it might be good to get a couple of sick ones tested for MG locally through your local ag extension agent or contact the local NPIP tester. As far as I know Denagard is only specific for MG, and there are other respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis and ILT (both viruses,) coryza, and others.

I had a necropsy on the first one that died and it ruled our Mareks and a couple other major diseases and had the second one affected tested and treated and he lived. I told them to test for everything. I then treated with amoxicillin for the entire flock per the Vet. That was probably in September. They did well until now the sneezing started. The Vet said that if they had a virus it would never leave their system and the entire flock would have the virus. I hope the Denagard works. A few were still sneezing today as I watched. The meds were stopped yesterday. As I mentioned one has diarrhea at this point. She is my sweetie and just started laying about 4 days ago. i will be giving her a bath after the probiotics kick in. So at this stage I am not sure the Denagard works. My Vet told me on the last bird that the antibiotics might work or not. They worked. He recovered.

If the antibiotic amoxicillin worked, it may have been MG or something else. If you are only seeing sneezing and diarrhea, it could just be a virus called infectious bronchitis. That would last around a month or a little more, and has to run it's course. IB will make them carriers for up to a year, so it frequently spreads through the flock, or to any new chicks or birds added for a year. They can also test for IB. It is the most common of respiratory diseases and less serious. Denagard would not help with IB.

I know little about Denagard use, but I would call the manufacturer or wait for more info here. You could also start a new thread of your own for more looks and comments. It should not matter whether the liquid concentrate is diluted with water, but they may advise adding a fresh mix daily so that the water does not get contaminated with bacteria by use. I have not read this thread, but isn't the prevention just used a few days each month, and at a lesser dose than the treatment dose?
I thought that the preventative dose was constant use but you may be right. I’ll have to research it. There may have been an information pamphlet that came with it but I don’t know where it is (and might have only given information for swine).

Back
Top Bottom