Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

wow!!..all these recipes sound great!...what good ideas you guys have!..thanks again, Wendy..
smile.png

My dad used to make what he called "Trash Hash". He probably still makes it, much to my mother's chagrin.

TRASH HASH
1 lb ground beef, browned & drained
Frozen or canned corn, heated
Enough mashed potatoes to feed your family

Mix corn & beef. Put mashed potatoes in center of plate. Cover with the beef/corn mixture. Smother with ketchup. Add salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!*
*All recipes must end with "Enjoy". It's a culinary law.

This is serious comfort food for me. I'm a foodie, having lived and learned to cook in France... and yet something makes me want to have this for dinner!!
lol.png

jen...yum!..sounds good!...almost like a shepards pie?..sort of?...i'll be making that recipe..
tongue.png
...sounds good!..Thanks, Wendy....p.s., i will remember to add *Enjoy..at the end of my recipes from now on!...
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok, I HAD to go and look these up - I must buy them, just from the 'free recipes" they offer on the site -

This one sounds too good to believe!! and the pic of it looked great, too - Gonna try this one tonight -

Pecan Chicken
1. 1/4 cup honey
2. 1/4 cup dijon mustard
3. 4 chicken breasts (skinned, boned, and halved)
4. 1 cup pecans (finely ground)

Combine honey and mustard. Spread on both sides of chicken. Dredge chicken in chopped pecans. Place in lightly greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tender

**** ^ I wonder how this would taste with turkey breast****

This one sounded good, too -

Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin

2 (1 1/2 lb.) pork tenderloins
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix honey, mustard and brown sugar. Spread over pork tenderloins and let marinate at least 2 hours in refrigerator. Roast at 350 degrees for 1 hour. 12 servings.

It is a cool day today, and I'm in a cooking mood - keep em coming folks!!

Peace -
Meriah

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I saw these at their internet site (the books) and then I went to Alibris Books (used books - VERY cheap)

I just order the first two volumes for 1.99 each (plus like 3.98 shipping each).

Can't wait til they get here.

I get tons of books from here (I know it's off topic, but the cookbooks and other cookbooks are here, too -)

http://www.alibris.com/

I rarely pay more than 1.99 per book - sometimes a harder to find book costs more, though.

Peace -
Meri

Last edited by a moderator:
Whole Wheat Bread

3 cups warm water
1/4-1/2 cups molasses
2 tbs. dry yeast(1 cake)
1/4 cup lard, melted
7-8 cups whole wheat flour

Combine water, molasses and yeast in large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add lard and 5 cups flour. Beat about 110 strokes. Add more flour to make a stiff dough. Kneed till smooth and elastic. Let raise till double. Punch down, cover, let rise again. Form into 3 loves, place in well -greased pans; bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Enjoy!..
smile.png

and heres another...
smile.png

Potato Biscuits

1 good sized potato
1 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
about 1 cup milk

Boil and mash potato 'till its free from lumps. Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Add potato and rub in shortening. Mix to a light dough with the egg and milk, roll out a little thinner than ordinary biscuit; bake in a hot oven(425 degrees) for 10-15 minutes until brown. Serve as soon as they are done. Enjoy!..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom