DH has come over to the dark side!!!

dsqard

Crazy "L" Farms
11 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I have to say since I started my chicken adventure this spring I have gotten so attached to the chicks and truely have the "addiction". I figured I was in trouble as soon as we finished building our first coop and my first thought was that it was going to be way too small for more (we agreed on four chickens and that is what we built for). Well last week I decided I wanted to get more, so got up the courage to discuss it with DH and his answer was "I don't care". So got another coop, a dog kennel big enough for all of them once the quarantine is over and picked up four more pullets and a really nice rooster. The second coop is supposed to be big enough for 12 LF. Well I would have to say that I think it will be tight for the 9 I have now. My DH (I make fun of him a lot but he really is a great guy) has seen the new coop and has offered to build me a much bigger better one. He asked me if it would be something I would like, I just looked at him and told him I would
love.gif
it. Then last night we were discussing incubating eggs (something I have been thinking about now that I have a roo) and he was asking a lot of questions. I told him some of the stuff that I have learned here from all of you wonderful people and he actually said "I think you should try it if you want!"
ep.gif
He thinks the chicks would be really cute!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
I think he secretly likes the chickens as much as I do and we have yet to get an egg.
gig.gif
He was even commenting on the difference between the new pullets and the four that we had already. HMMM Some times they surprise you as much as we surprise them.
thumbsup.gif

Hmm. Seems like I'm going through the same thing. I love my chicks. And I knew as soon as we got our first four, I wanted more. Thank goodness my hubby puts up with me. I think he likes them just as much as me, but won't say it. Just supports my new hobby.

Swimmer I know what you mean! He does put up with my craziness and has told me he is going to paint "Psycho Chicks" on the coop he builds.
lau.gif
I notice you are in SLC. I live not too far away!
thumbsup.gif

Let me warn you: once you start incubating, chicken math goes haywire and you need more than 2 coops. We had one coop this spring and now we have 3 plus a brooder and are putting up a batchelor pen.
I need to put the brakes on this and they really are his chickens!

they'reHISchickens :

Let me warn you: once you start incubating, chicken math goes haywire and you need more than 2 coops. We had one coop this spring and now we have 3 plus a brooder and are putting up a batchelor pen.
I need to put the brakes on this and they really are his chickens!

yuckyuck.gif

Then I am in trouble already since I am up to two coops with out incubating!
gig.gif
Course with the "new" new coop I can consolidate the ones I have now and save the two small coops for MORE CHICKENS!
lau.gif

Yes, but which one of the "old" coops is going to be for his ducks?
That's what happened to me. The smallest original, was always the brooder house, the grow out house became the duck house and then we have the Hen house. He hit me with the ducks in the spring after the Hen house was done.

Now of course, we have a grow out cage, a breeder colony cage and he is making breeder cages for all the Coturnix quail. They are even more cute than chicks.

So what kind of ducks is he wanting? My DH reasoning was to cut down on flys, snakes, mice and those pesky mosquitos? Hummm. Duckies are real cute too. Messy though.

Once you start, it just goes on and on. The incubator comes out in early spring and if your lucky it gets to rest sometime in October.

Have Fun.

You now suffer from chickenitis. It's a totally incurable disease.

You will now feel obligated to hatch eggs. Then you will need a grow out pen for your chicks until they are old enough to be integrated into the main flock. Then you will start fantasizing about all the different breeds. Oh and don't forget a grow out pen for the extra roosters you'll be hatching. Then you can start thinking about broodies too. The coops keep expanding as does the flock. Your daily life will revolve around chickens.

You're a lost cause.
big_smile.png

When you begin to run out of room just switch to smaller breeds of chickens! I started with standards and then added some Easter egger bantams and now I have added three seramas
big_smile.png
Wow, they are so tiny, micro-chickens!
wee.gif

We are still working on the coop around my almost 14 week old chickens. The Hubby seems to be really warming up to them...but when I notice him just watching them...he abruptly busy's himself with the little "huh huh" embarrassed cough. Bless his heart he has really been working hard on the coop and although it started out for me...I think part of it is secretly for him. Men!!!
roll.png
LOL

Back
Top Bottom