1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

diatomaceous earth or wormer?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by TerryQui, Dec 9, 2015.

1. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I got some gorgeous yellow Modena pigeons and kept them in quarantine and one died today with worms coming out of it's mouth. I found her dead that way.
    So I need to treat them all plus my own flock.
    I put diatomaceous earth on the food. Should I use just that or wormer also?
    Should I wait on the wormer to see if they start pooping these worms some first? I don't want to over kill and kill my birds.
    Please help me save what is left. They are gorgeous birds and I wanted to produce the yellow. I still have a yellow male and yellow argent female. But that is it. Thank you.
    ps, ten years experience breeding green cheek conures and raising chickens but rather new to Pigeons.

[​IMG]

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
  3. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I did some research and it looks like the D-earth will do the trick over a coarse of a week and is much safer.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    DE is very unlikely to work at all. Would be best to have a vet do a fecal float.

Quote:

6. 2-3 drops of 1% injectable Ivermectin. This works. for all parasites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by