Did I start lock down too early?!? Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Georgina Armstrong, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Georgina Armstrong

Georgina Armstrong In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2017
    Hi everyone!
    First time duck egg hatcher here!
    So long story short... Mrs duck and mister duck got frisky (these are our pet ducks who live with our hens).... Mrs duck laid eggs.... fox got Mr duck..... Mrs ducks nest was moved to a safer place..... but she was very unimpressed and didn't want to sit on them anymore! Worried human rushed put and bought an incubator.... found advice on here about how to know if the eggs were fertile....saved the seven to looked to be fertilized.... all of them are.....
    Problem 1.....
    we don't know how old the eggs are (they've been in the incubator 14 days today)....they were well veined with black wiggly bits in them and some with darker areas already, when I first checked them)....
    And this leads to problem 2..... did i stop turning too early??? they look very full.... air sacs growing.... have been auto turned from the moment we got them in the incubator .... but 3 days ago they were wriggling a lot and looked very full and dark and were seriously dancing around in the incubator...(4 out of seven of them).... so we stopped turning thinking they must be getting ready to make an appearance....we also upped the humidity.....but three days later and still no change...... did I stop turning them down to early????? What should I do now?!?!

The photos are what some looked like the night before they stopped being turned....

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hmmmm...What kind of Duck eggs?...Day 14 is too early for all to not be turned and for humidity raised...

3. chickens really

4. chickens really

Also candle from the fat end of the egg...

Georgina Armstrong likes this.
  5. Georgina Armstrong

Dec 10, 2017
    The male was an Indian runner duck and we aren't sure what she is.... she's just a little brown girl of regular duck shape..‍♀️...
    Yes I agree....bur the problem is that mama duck had originally been sitting on her nest for about two weeks already and when we checked the eggs there were 15 under her!.... so not sure how old they were before they went in the incubator...

6. Georgina Armstrong

Dec 10, 2017
    Oh... I thought that was the fat end??

7. chickens really

Straight up into the fat end...Better results..

8. Georgina Armstrong

Dec 10, 2017
    Oh Ok! Thank you.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Pictures look fine, from what i can see. Early lockdown and stopping turning a little early is ok too.

Did you lay the eggs down for hatching? Watch for the air cell to start start drawing down further. What you see from candling will start looking less uniform, as the duckling moves into position. This should happen a day or so before they actually hatch.

Good luck!

casportpony and chickens really like this.
  10. chickens really

She would not of started really sitting till ready...So were pretty close to Day 15 then when you took them...Hens actually know what to do and do leave eggs for longer times during incubation...

Georgina Armstrong likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: