Dirty fuzzy butts?

Sooner Chic-en

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
Oklahoma
I have 19 RIR hens, well they will be considered hens in about 1 1/2 mths, anyway I have 3 that have poop infested butts.... I'm wondering if they are the ones laying the jumbo eggs, also how do I clean this, they are not the friendliest of my flock and it just looks hideous, I know they can still poop because I have seen them, however it has to be annoying to them as much as it is too me, any suggestions?

If the hens are otherwise well, a small diet change may be sufficient to alter this and have them clean. What are they receiving?

I find that if I give my hens some horse feed as an occasional treat, one or two will do this, perhaps because of the molasses. You're wise to be concerned but it might be an easy fix!
cool.png

Last edited:
my girls are free range, we have around 5 acres that they are free to roam on, I do have them on layer feed, however, I notice that they spend all their time scratching all day, also I have spoiled them with can corn and they love cheese, but it looks like it would be happening to all of them, not just a select few, as far as cleaning them, I can't see me being able to do that, not with these 3...lol also I have tried to mix oyster shell in their food, but I can't see where they eat a whole lot of feed, mostly free range, could that be the problem? thanks for the advise!

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

Back
Top Bottom