Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    MMM! Served with a side of beef! I don't like mashed potatoes and that is not, that can be served with a fork! Like twice baked potatoes with just the guts! Yum!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Morning! Hmmmm, horseradish? Sounds interesting. Coffee is cooking. I need it this morning[​IMG]

Has anyone purchased chicks from hatcheries by way of mail? It looks like I am going to have to do that to get the breeds I want this year. I am trying to find a hatchery that sells cockrells and pullets-that are not de beaked! I want some English Cuckoo Marans, Speckled Sussex (last time I am trying this breed), Black cooper French marans, blue cooper French marans, and more. I just can't think this early. I am still watching for local breeders.

@Beer can , Those potatoes sound good, but thinking the salt is not the healthiest for me. The best potatoes around here are sold at the county fairs. Skin on French fries with malt vinegar. Also not the healthiest choice for me. [​IMG]

@BriardChickens I have heard of the T90 work outs. Do they use weights during the workouts or is it cardio based? How long is your typical class?

3. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I don't think most hatcheries debeak unless you ask for it. I got my last order from Meyer's, I think they have most of the breeds you are looking for but I could be wrong on the Marans, I know they had more varieties than your typical hatchery for a price, Stombergs has some other's do also. SandHill preservation center might be your best bet if you struck out on the others, but they cost more and from what I hear you have to order early or you miss out.

4. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I will repeat my opinion on Speckled Sussex again, based on my enormous experience gathered from a brother and sister combo. They're not a nice breed. Clumsy, skittish, slightly bullying birds. Tasty eggs though.

5. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Good morning to everyone.
    I have been known to serve up a large baked potato with just butter, salt, pepper, sour cream and cheese for breakfast. Making it a twice baked potato. So thank you for giving me the idea to do just that for breakfast. Filling, fast and hot. Have a great day everyone. I do have a question. What is the name of the hatchery that has a nice truck an delivers their chicks? Thank you for considering answering. Good morning to all. It is going to be a busy day today. It is going to be nasty weather coming our way.

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Mmm, baked potatoes are delicious as well. I like to bake them with salt in tin foil, and then serve them with butter, grated cheese and Skagen mix, that's basically shrimp, dill, onion, black pepper and creme fraiche. Some salt and mustard too. Karin likes to eat them with roe, smetana and red onion.

7. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I've had the best luck with cackle hatchery.

Good morning evryone!

BYW, 2 internal pips on my broody hens eggs last night!

8. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Minihorse, yay, what do you have cooking under them?

9. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    they are all ohiki and ohiki english orpington cross.

10. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    my incubator eggs haven't done anything yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by