Dixie Chicks

My internet keeps crashing. Cable company
barnie.gif

Anyways, @vehve , How do you guys make mashed potatoes. I use milk, butter (lots-like Deb
wink.png
), salt and pepper. Sometimes I'll add some or all of these: sour cream, shredded cheddar, bacon, green onions. I am heading to bed. Night night all
big_smile.png

Never heard of salt taters....but how do you grow yours? We do the tire stacking method. Works pretty good, but never can get enough potatoes.

I tried the barrel method, plant the taters in the bottom of the barrel and add soil as they grow, supposed to get tons of taters, I got a paper bag full, big disappointment, maybe I used the wrong variety. I hilled them the last couple of years with my little rototiller, 50 foot row snagged all the dirt left and right with the rototiller until I had a huge pile in a row and then planted, did pretty good. Planted mostly white Kennebec, some Russets and some red fingerlings, the red fingerlings produced the most, Kennebec's second. Salt taters? I was wondering if it was regional like spedies. They actually sell bags of new potatoes with a salt packet ready to go for them here, here's a recipe they are the bestest most awesome, I could just eat them exclusively!

"Salt potatoes are a regional specialty of Syracuse, New York, a.k.a. The Salt City. Salt potatoes date to the 1800s, invented by local salt mine workers who created a simple and inexpensive lunch by boiling small potatoes in brine. The potatoes are still very popular today with the Central New York crowd, making an incredibly easy and delicious side dish."

4 pounds new potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups fine salt
  • 8 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions

1. Wash the potatoes and set aside. Fill a large pot with water; stir in salt until it no longer dissolves and settles on the bottom. Place potatoes in the pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain; cover to keep hot.
  2. While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a small pan over medium high heat, or in microwave. Serve immediately poured over potatoes.

They have a nice salt crust on them, you could eat them plain no butter one after another!

Any and every barbeque here has salt potatoes.

Last edited:
Jwb, a cup of milk to three pounds taters, and some butter and salt. Served with chopped onion. That's the traditional way.

Hey, bambam. Channeling your inner McConnaughey?

Last edited:
just finished some Wagu steaks ... Hiccuping still from before.

OH YUM. They really werent Wagu but they were in the discount bin at Vons... because they were half and half for fat. OH MY GAWD.

Bought them all NOW they are MINE.... hee hee um hee

Twice baked baby reds. Boil in salt water with garlic cloves until soft. Drain. Mash. Add sour cream, butter, fresh cracked pepper, shredded cheddar....and the secret ingredient...shhh... Small spoon of horseradish! Put in oven safe dish. Bake until browning on top. Serve it up!

just finished some Wagu steaks ... Hiccuping still from before.

OH YUM. They really werent Wagu but they were in the discount bin at Vons... because they were half and half for fat. OH MY GAWD.

Bought them all NOW they are MINE.... hee hee um hee

Can't call it Wagu if it was bred in the US! Even if it is the same breed and , looks smells tastes the same ! Lol! Kinda like Champagne! Sparkling white wine eh!

Back
Top Bottom