1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

the three pips hatched....

they looked so much like Marans that I panicked, looked closely, saw that they were truly from olive eggs, so I grabbed them out, stuck blue fingernail polish on one toe of each, snapped a couple pictures and tossed them back in.

[​IMG]

what is so funny.... is then I looked at this photo and was all 'DUH!' that is a tiny little pea comb isn't it? I didn't look closely at the combs, and now they are tucked back into the incubator....

It would be nice if all of the olive eggs hatched out with little pea combs, to make it clear that they are not my Marans.

Oh, 2 of the Marans eggs now have pips!

2. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

I use cream

3. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG][​IMG] sooo exciting!!! too cute...peacombs is good :) most of my muttlings have peacombs except the new babys and only two of them dixie and eggna poe...

I sure am liking the size of the bodys of the orpington/jersery giant crosses...... nice lil chunky bodys

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. So cute!!!

I use only enough milk to make them creamy usually 1/4c or less. I've started roasted my taters now so I don't mash very often.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    we use milk most of the time
    but sometimes we used sour cream. They are awesome that way!

6. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    peacombs are dominate and extremely hard to breed out of anything so if you have something peacomb and something single comb, everything should come out with a peacomb. Key word is should!

7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Yay for chickies, Al. It looks a bit fluffy and wet.

I use butter and full fat milk usually, about 3 lbs potato to a cup of milk. The sour cream sounds interesting, I'll have to try. It would probably be nice with some chopped spring onion, pepper and vinegar, sort of a mashed potato salad.

8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

as to potatoes...

I don;t ever make mashed potatoes... mashed potatoes just aren't right...... corn bread, yep, you should live on corn bread, sweet potatoes, rice, noodles, and dumplings...

achem

Spouse isn't right in the head, so spouse cooks mashed potatoes.

Spouse makes them with sour cream, half and half, butter, and cheese, and lots of garlic

SUPER rich, and everyone adores them.

9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Mmmm, cheese and garlic.

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I made riistakäristys ja perunamuusi today, that's venison stew and mashed taters. And served with lingonberries. Nice, traditional food from Lapland. Although, it should be all reindeer, I used half a pound of reindeer and a pound of venison. Reindeer really has gone up in price in later years.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by