Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Great news there, Alaskan!

I have gathered the heat lamp from the coop, turned the chickens out to forage in the rain and recover from cabin fever, gotten a temporary 4 in. sided black rubber tub ready for the a "first booder for one"...found the (clean) waterer, washed a feeder.....got the tub in a Clorox and water soak....then I spent the remainder of my time pillaging cabinets in three rooms for the one cup of chick starter. I gave up and came to check on the pip. When I got to the sideboard where the'bater is..... there was the chick feed in a container where I had but it when I locked down the bater for hatch. (I'd give a little pinkie for better short term memory). Pip is not off egg but has lifted a bit...and my nest building frenzy has calmed, so I will enjoy assembling a place for what I hope will be a chick before bedtime. Life is good.

edited to improve word salad

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I just agreed to shell out $120 for pure HOMOzygous eggs, 1 dozen white rose comb, 1 dozen dark brown rose comb... (both leghorns)

shipped in pipe insulation, and double boxed...

3. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Well, you'll only have to do that once.

4. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome

:lau

5. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Al, or you can wait a while and save some money... heterozygous roo to heterozygous hen will give you 25% homozygous rose comb, 50% heterozygous rose comb, and 25% homozygous straight comb. Then you just need to breed the rose combed ones to straight combed ones, and if all of the chicks turn out with a rose comb you'll know it's homozygous. Requires a couple of generations and some time though.

6. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    ouch! I was contemplating ordering from mcmurray for the rosecombs brown leghorns. $89.10 for 10 straight run and 15 pullet chicks shipped. Hmmmmmm. Of course I can't know for sure that their birds are homozygous for rose comb either.

7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Beer, not a cat, it's a dachshund. Easily mistaken for something porcine perhaps, but not feline.

8. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Which one lays the golden eggs?

9. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

hahaha! (on the golden eggs)

@vehve but trying to breed my own replacement would take a GREAT deal of time, and test matings, etc. It probably works out cheaper with buying the eggs, since I will know what I am getting and don't have to feed a bunch of chicks that I don't want.

@minihorse927 oooh! you actually figured it out and all!

(I didn't want to, because I was thinking that the chicks from McMurray would probably end up being cheaper)

Anyway, these should be much better quality, and I will get more of the colors that I already have, so super yeah, AND they are totally homozygous for rose comb, so giant score!

I love honest sellers.... he has other rose comb leghorns, but I asked, and the whites and dark browns are the only ones that are pure homozygous rose comb.

His pictures look awesome show quality too.....

so the only problem is if none of the eggs hatch... but I already have $100 chickens.... nothing wrong with one or two more [​IMG]

(actually, my only $100 chicken is STILL NOT LAYING)

10. Beer can

Beer can True BYC Addict

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by