Dixie Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Amberjem, Jan 1, 2015.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    I caved. I ordered the leghorns, welsummers, and blue andalusions. Don't care if these are show quality. Just want laying birds that I can hatch and sell more laying birds from.

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Nice score! Ouch on the wallet tho, lol...

3. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Jim finally was able to get into town to pick up necessities...
    Had to stop at TSC for chick food, and they got their chicks in...
    Needless to say, we have 6 new EE pullets...

Resistance is futile...

[​IMG]

4. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My welsummer lays nice dark spotted eggs. She took forever to start laying but she's laying pretty good now. Got one from her and one from the non-hardy polish today and it was -16F last night. Still getting some from the EEgrs, but it looks like the brownleghorns have takin a break the last couple weeks. Wish they were rose comb. Don't see any frostbite on them yet but my welsummer roo has a touch on a couple of his points. The wellie roo is the nicest freindliest one of the bunch, and the prettiest. They were from Meyer's hatchery, out of three cockerels he look SOP imo the other two didn't, of three pullets the one I have left looks SOP imo, I lost the other two, their neck feathers were more reddish. Gunna hatch some more wellies if I can get a bucnch of eggs that aren't froze and cracked.

5. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Oh my, cute. Congrats.

I remembered why I hadn't prepared the brooder.....give me something to do other than staring at a pip for hours on end and obsessing. (still obsessing, but just not quite as long...got the "brooder for one" all arranged, hoping now that wasn't counting my chick before it hatched.

6. Beer can

Beer can Chicken Obsessed

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My 11yr old daughter was reading some of these posts the other day when I left the laptop on. She said 'what's wrong with you people, don't you have anything better to do, you all sound like a bunch of chicken freaks' Lol!

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Better to have it ready... By the time Jim got home with the EE's they were cold, and I had nowhere to put them! Because of course he did NOT tell me he got them until he was home handing me a box of frozen chicklets... :/

8. Mahen100

Mahen100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    Ellendale, TN
    Beer can, I usually like to leave "natural light" to trigger egg-laying here, but since the tiny oil heater I put in the coop went bad, I had put a heat lamp to keep a big rooster comb from frostbite during this cold plunge. The little oil heater made no light, but it had a small red glowing on button (which I turned as close as possible to the wall). I guess you can imagine what the chickens did when they discovered the red button...pecked it right into malfunction. The heat lamp must have stimulated egg-laying and I have been getting 5 to 8 eggs from 12 hens, some of which are 2.5 years old now. Come on spring!

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Hey! I resemble that remark!! :D

10. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    I wanted the welsummer for just that,the egg color! I ordered 8 welsummer straight run, 8 blue andalusions straight run, and 10 rosecomb brown leghorn straight run and 15 pullet brown leghorn rosecomb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by