Do any of you remember " Little House On the Prarie "

Tammy N

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 9, 2011
Florence Oregon
Ok tonight just before waking up i had a dream of Laura's Mom Taking a Basket of white eggs into the Store for trading with flour and ?

well I also flashed Back to Laura and her sister Running out of the Barn and seeing all those Rhoad Island Reds ...

So i pondered about 15 minutes after i woke up ....

Laughing to myself i thought now wait aminute thats got to me a movie Prop they only had about 15 RIR and the Bascket held about 6 or more dozen white eggs LMAO

So i want the magical white egg laying RIR or at least to find the Little House on the prarie on DVD.

well she wouldn't be taking eggs in every day. that could be several weeks worth of eggs. My grandmother only kept about a 6 birds but there was always a HUGE bowl of eggs (sometimes 2) sitting on the counter in the kitchen.
shoot, I only have 4 hens laying and I had 3 dozen eggs in my fridge yesterday!

ok, yes the brown eggs. that went right over my head. lol but since most of the TV viewing public barely realize that there ARE brown eggs (met someone at the store once who thought the brown eggs at Wal-Mart were turkey eggs!) why would they not use what eggs they had on hand? Well, that and those were probably plastic anyway. :)

Last edited:
I just thought it was pretty weird im dreaming of my favorite show Way back when i was a kid and chicken eggs LMAO

I think im too involved ... I have a roo i think its the RIR i bought as a 5 week old chick i hope he does not start crowing it will break my heart he is just as nice as the girls was going to take him to a show but he has been spoiled loves to splatter me

I always notice the weirdest things in TV shows. DH always says "you're overthinking it. it's just TV" lol

She had brown eggs, too. Remember, Mrs. Olsen wanted to pay less for the brown eggs? Maybe she was hiding more chickens in the back? lol

She had brown eggs, too. Remember, Mrs. Olsen wanted to pay less for the brown eggs? Maybe she was hiding more chickens in the back? lol

I even know the reason for this!! most "farm birds" were brown layers - RIRs and similar. Very few people had white egg layers.

but my great-grandfather said that they always got less because 'everyone had brown eggs' kind of like in the olden days the "white sugar" was more expensive and saved for special occasions (so was white flour) while wheat flour and brown sugar (or honey) were used for everyday cooking. it could even just be a perception issue - brown = common/everyday foods white = special occasions.

Sometimes TV shows drive me nuts. Once on Family, there was a scene with a milk goat. Only it was a wether. I wonder how they got any milk out of it. Remember the "beef" cattle on Bonanza? Holsteins as often as not. What infuriated me was that both these shows were filmed in southern California where there were dairy goats and beef cattle to be found easily if anyone cared to look. And then there was a segment of The Incredible Hulk featuring a bucking Brahma bull that really took the prize. The soundman used a recording of a squealing pig for the vocalization of the bull. Guess he thought it was more dramatic.

Putting aside the show's inconsistencies, and there were many, historically the birds kept in the 1880's only laid for a portion of the year and usually laid around 120-150 eggs per year, that is it. Fresh eggs were used as currency, that much was indeed accurate. And egg values? Wow, we'd love to make that much per egg today. In dollar terms, Mrs Ingalls could have received as much as a $1 per egg, in today's value. Eggs were simply harder to come by than they are today.

I was interested to know Laura Ingalls lived not far from me in Mansfield, Missouri. The Little House books were all written there. I haven't toured her home yet, but I mean to. It is open to the public.

Back
Top Bottom