Do I have to break a broody if I’m not hatching ?

chicChickChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2015
We don’t have the bandwidth for chicks right now. One of the gals is acting broody. We’re getting plenty of eggs without her contribution. Is there any reason not to just keep taking the eggs and let her be?

We don’t have the bandwidth for chicks right now. One of the gals is acting broody. We’re getting plenty of eggs without her contribution. Is there any reason not to just keep taking the eggs and let her be?
For the first time I let one be this summer, to avoid any disruptive behaviour from a 5 year old who has raised several clutches in previous years and who went broody shortly after I'd let another one start sitting, and she gave up after a month, with no loss of condition (and no disruption to the other broody or clutch).

Given your circumstances, you could try it, and intervene if you think it becomes necessary for any of the reasons given by posters above.

Really it's up to you. I don't really care about not getting eggs either and I have enough nest box space, but broody behavior disrupts my flock, so I'd rather break it and have it be done in 2-4 days, rather than have it drawn out over 21 days.

Back
Top Bottom