Do you color your hair?

Quote:
I wouldn't say it shows confidence... for some laziness... I would rather see a woman with graying hair thru-out than one who dyes her hair but you can see there gray at the scalp...
pop.gif

so whats the difference between seeing the grey roots.. and someone who it letting it grow out because their hair has become to brittle from over dying and over processing... a little judgmental dont you think... you have no idea why they are not redying it...

I love the graying hair look. Better than an obvious dye job on an older woman. I think it looks great when there are gray/silvery streaks. Not OLD, but classic, you know?

That said I dye my hair. I am 33 and i have been dying my hair since I was 12. For fun. I have been every shade of the rainbow. I have three kids and still have funky bleach blonde bangs, or bright red hair. It is me. I do it for fun. Because I can. I love my natural dark brown chestnut, but I love funky colours more.

I have grown it out to see if I was gray yet, but nope. Not one tinge of gray. (My Mama didn't get gray until she was well in to her 40s) When I do start going gray I will NOT dye my hair.

I have never dyed my hair and I never will.

It's always been a red-blond and it's getting darker as I've gotten into my 30's, but I haven't seen any grey, yet, but I don't plan to dye it even then. When my mom started to get gray, us kids would point it out her grey hairs and she'd say, "Leave 'em alone, I earned 'em." She had 6 kids, so she certainly did earn them!

So when my hair goes grey, I plan to leave it alone, I earned it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I wouldn't say it shows confidence... for some laziness... I would rather see a woman with graying hair thru-out than one who dyes her hair but you can see there gray at the scalp...
pop.gif

Laziness? Really? It's the natural order of things to go grey with age. Men are allowed without anyone saying they are "letting themselves go". Why? Because it's just common sense that people change with time and those changes are a natural thing and nothing to hide or be ashamed of in any way.

Hollyweird's idea of beauty is not, clearly, what God intended or we wouldn't age, get wrinkles, go grey...there is nothing wrong with aging.

I think coloring one's hair is a subconscious denial of mortality. If one can just appear younger, then maybe they will just not grow old and die, I guess.

Throwing away the color, for me, was an affirmation of life in all it's glorious, multifaceted stages and me being allowed to just be me without any apologies at this stage of my life....lazy doesn't enter into the picture. Honesty does, however.
wink.png

I've always found it somewhat sad to see an older lady dying her hair when it is quite obvious she is old enough to have white hair along with her wrinkles, stooped back, bifocals and hearing aids.

Quote:
pop.gif

Laziness? Really? It's the natural order of things to go grey with age. Men are allowed without anyone saying they are "letting themselves go". Why? Because it's just common sense that people change with time and those changes are a natural thing and nothing to hide or be ashamed of in any way.

Hollyweird's idea of beauty is not, clearly, what God intended or we wouldn't age, get wrinkles, go grey...there is nothing wrong with aging.

I think coloring one's hair is a subconscious denial of mortality. If one can just appear younger, then maybe they will just not grow old and die, I guess.

Throwing away the color, for me, was an affirmation of life in all it's glorious, multifaceted stages and me being allowed to just be me without any apologies at this stage of my life....lazy doesn't enter into the picture. Honesty does, however.
wink.png

I've always found it somewhat sad to see an older lady dying her hair when it is quite obvious she is old enough to have white hair along with her wrinkles, stooped back, bifocals and hearing aids.

Well done!!!
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
bow.gif

Quote:

wink.png

Well done!!!
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
bow.gif

X2
No hearing aids go deaf it's good for your soul!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have a lot of confidence when job interviewing with gray hair. I feel much better with it colored.

There is a product called "Gray Magic" that you can buy in Beauty Supply Stores and add to your hair coloring to help cover the gray. I also find that coloring the gray first and leaving it on an extra 10 minutes helps. I only use Feria or Loreal or John Freeda hair color kits.

Have you explored why it is you feel that way? Do you feel that people may perceive grey-haired women as inept or lazy?

The color of one's hair, unless it is some wildly incongruous color, shouldn't be a factor in the job market unless the jobs you interview for are normally given to youthful, very fit young women....like aerobics instructors, models, flight attendants, etc.

I was inspired to let mine go grey by a woman in my town that is always on the go. She farms along side her husband, has teenagers involved in everything and seems to be buzzing around doing something all the time. Her hair is very short and nearly white. She seems so strong and capable to me...confidence doesn't seem to be a problem for her.
tongue.png

I guess I never really thought about my hair as being a job plus or minus....

Back
Top Bottom