Do you ever feel like you were born the wrong year?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alaska animal lover, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I think I was born at least 40 years too late.
    My friends don't get it. Why would I want to make a pie from scratch when you just go buy one for $6.99 at walmart?
    Why keep chickens? Bake bread? Grow a garden? Read a book? Stay at home with my kids?

Sigh.
    That is why I love it here. Most of you "get it".
    I can't wait to tell them I'm going to try to make MissPrissy's cheese![​IMG]

Oh and all the garden growers here, if you haven't done so would you please go sign up at The easy garden?
    I would love to get some recipes from everyone using garden goodies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    [​IMG] to you for "daring to be different"!

When I reached my 20's I swore I wouldn't be like my Mom (gardening, canning, etc...). Now I'm in my 40's and proudly working my way to walking in my Mom's footsteps. [​IMG]

Dawn

3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    ya i feel the same way i should've been a pirate........or atleast lived in london around the 1800's...................

4. Alaska animal lover

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:[​IMG] Well, that wasn't quite the year I meant, but hey you get what I'm talking about anyhow.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i feel like i should be in my 60-70s, I actually enjoy living off the land (hunting fishing gardening etc) tired of the high prices as well and wish i was older (only thirteen)

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I hear ya, AAL, I hear ya. [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    LOL! This evening I told the boys I was going to make buttermilk biscuits to go with our chicken (yep, home grown!) and our youngest asked if he could "smack that can!". [​IMG] I told him "no!" and he gave me the saddest look, but then brightened up when I told him I was making them from scratch so there was no can to smack... [​IMG] Now, if I could just trade eggs/chicken for fresh garden veggies, and get a cow for milk, I'd be set!
    Hmmmmm...

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I know I'm out of my century but it's funny and touching because I have so many parents tell me they wanted their kids in my class because of my "old-fashioned" values and because I teach them about hatching, and gardening, and respect.

9. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    This may sound odd, but I have a theory...(those that see me IRL, groan and shake their heads when I say this, I have a lot of theories, lol) But! I have a theory that although we feel as though we don't belong during this time, and we are the misfits so to speak. We are also the ones that may just have a strong hand in saving this great nation of ours. The things we find enjoyment out of, the way we choose to live our lives right now are regarded as odd to some. However, perhaps it is our influence, and our children's influence that will give the country the road map back to the skills it needs to become more self sufficient, to stop relying on the cheap and easy, and go with the way that yields a higher reward.

Just my 0.02 at 1:37 am.

Rachel

10. Alaska animal lover

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:I love that theory and had the same one myself. I was actually going to tell DTchickens the same thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by