Do you have a chicken "first aid" box? If so, what do you keep in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm looking to expand my chicken first aid box and I was curious as to what others keep in case of emergency. I have neosporin, Vaseline, gauze wraps, cotton pads, corid medicine, and apple cider vinegar in mine. What do you have in yours? What should I keep on hand?

Great thread idea. I have just started trying to organize a box too.

BluKote
Blood Stop
knife
castor oil

These are my *must* medicines

• 10% liquid Baytril (enrofloxacin)
  • 9.6% liquid Corid (amprolium)
  • 10% liquid Safeguard (fenbendazole)
  • Calcium gluconate
  • Fluconazole
  • Metronidazole

-Kathy

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure everyone has a bunch of different things, these aree things I have found helpful so far. Some do the same thing as one doesn't always work the way you want it to. Good luck with your flock may it always be happy and healthy.

Exam gloves
Leather gloves - a roo taught me that
Sugar in a baggy - for prolapse
Honey in a small squeeze bottle - prolapse
Old towel for wrapping the bird in
Roll of vet wrap to secure down bandage
An old dark colored sock to put over head and it helps calm them
Vetricyn gel for wound care
Tube feeding kit - I've used this a lot
Sevin - mites and lice
Valbazen for worming
Kaytee baby bird food - for tube feeding
Electrolyte packet
Probiotic packets
Saline for wound cleaning - from my old emt kit
Baby asprin
Popsicle sticks
Corid
Various sized syringes some with needles for injections
Vaseline
Small bottle of olive oil - so don't contaminate home use one
Needle & thread - I may never use on chickens but in kit for other animals (stitch kit)
Super glue to secure skin together - always leave a drain hole for wound
Flour in a baggy to stop bleeding
Styptic pencil to stop bleeding
Blue kote
A tub to soak bird in fits inside kitchen sink
A small flashlight
To wash bird Fairytales rosemary shampoo, helps repel lice on humans so has to help birds (right?) If nothing else they smell good for a bit while in house.
Cardboard collapsible box
Dog crate
Bulb with heat reflector and clamp, same one used for brooding. But use different bulb for warmth.
Neosporin
Magnifying glass - check for bugs - they are hard to see sometimes! ( my eyes aren't that bad yet ;) )

I save the trays that microwaveable family dinners and veggies come in, work great for sick bird feed tray as the plastic is fairly durable. I can toss them after the bird goes back out.
Size is about 4x6 largest is like a 10x12 I use for all the birds mixed treat mash they get in late afternoon to help fill them up for a cold night.

I am always adding and tossing things from the shelf I have set aside for the animals. A basket to carry out what I need. Never use them for anything else. Reading through the forums I always see something that I should have on hand or see something that many agree isn't the best to have.

Things I want to get:
Digital scale
Tylan
the meds that need to be injected under skin ( haven't needed them yet)

Best thing to have. This forum to search or ask about the problem. OH and a camera to be able to post pictures with your post.

Needles and syringes for giving medicine.
Digital kitchen scale.
Poultry dust.
Supplies for making a box to send dead bird for necropsy.
Betadine

So many more things, lol, I'll take a look in my cabinets and compile a better list.

-Kathy

What the heck do you do with those birds you give all that medicine? They wouldn't be good for eggs or to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom