Do You Have a Good Picture of a Ducking Feathering Out?

OldGuy43

Songster
8 Years
Surely someone here has such a picture. I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
hide.gif
I know that, being a little short of 3 weeks old they shouldn't be, but some look like they might be sometimes, and I don't want to miss changing their feed from starter. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Here are my Mallards at a smidge over three weeks of age:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinluv/5941031432/in/set-72157626899888753

If you click around in that photo set, I have chronological pictures of both small batches of ducks that I've raised. I tend to take a lot of pictures. LOL

Don't stress over the starter feed and when to switch. With my first ducks, the Mallards, I fed them Mazuri waterfowl starter for like three months (they still seemed like babies to me!). They turned out just fine! You won't hurt them if you aren't exactly on the mark (as if there even is a mark) to switch them to grower.

The odd thing about ducklings (compared to chicks) is that they bulk up, still fuzzy, as chicks are feathering out. Chicks put growing energy into feathers, then bodies, but ducklings add body mass before hard feathers. They are fuzzy but huge, with just wing and some tail feathers coming in at five weeks or so....

22 days. I think it is kind of funny on the other forum post people were saying the underbelly feathers out first, and that is what I thought too. But my girls are getting feathers on their sides first they have no feathers on their bellies yet.

22 days. I think it is kind of funny on the other forum post people were saying the underbelly feathers out first, and that is what I thought too. But my girls are getting feathers on their sides first they have no feathers on their bellies yet.

They get feathers on their wings, and sides. then they get feathers on their belly and back.

Back
Top Bottom