Doctor phobia....

quadcam79

Songster
12 Years
Oct 28, 2007
Fernandina Beach Fl.
does anyone else have this? actually I have a needle phobia but its funny because I have tattoos and piercings. I go into full panic mode if i have to have blood drawn, I'm talking cold sweats, dizzy, nausea, passing out. and dont even get me started on IV's I have no idea why, it's not like it's painful but i freak out....funny my GF is a nurse and was a phlebotomist when i met her.

So anyway, my gf is bugging me to go to the Dr. because i've been having really bad pains in my chest..mostly gallbladder area. But lately it's been all over my chest, sides and back too.Sharp little pains that come and go in different areas and when i'm at work hunched down lifting bags I feel like I cant breath everytime i put any strain on my muscles ...It's weird and I cant explain it.

I dont want to go because a) my severe needle phobia B) afraid to find out something could be really really wrong C) i dont want to have to have surgery because....the IV...the surgery doesnt bother me , it's that IV part i cant handle

I'm the type that will go to the dr. only when i'm drug in through the ER and I dont have a choice.
So i dont know what to do , I mean i know what I have to do but I dont wanna do it and I cant talk myself into it.
So I just needed to vent cause i'm freaking out...LOL yeh , big bad biker guy..scared of needles
roll.png

Last edited:
I'm a nurse and the big bad biker guys are the ones I always MADE lay down before I stuck them!!! About going to the doctor: A) The first thing they are going to do is draw blood, just relax and it isn't near as bad B) If you wait long enough you may not have to go to the doctor, you may have to go to the morgue. Just go, the first thing they teach in nursing school is that pain is NOT normal and it needs to be checked out. Good Luck either way.

You need to go.

1) it may very well be nothing at all serious, in which case you can stop worrying.

2) If it IS something more serious, you'll have a lot LESS needles and Dr visits if you catch it early and get appropriate treatment. Never DON"T go to the Dr because you are afraid to get bad news - news will only be WORSE when you are 'dragged into the ER'.

You can always ask for an anti-anxiety medication to help you relax - of course you'll have to go in FIRST to get the script.... Medical-phobia is very common though - it seems ESPECIALLY in men who are tough guys. Going to see a Dr is akin to admitting you may have a weakness of some sort, and that's hard for a lot of people to do!

Let's face it, genetically MOST critters (humans included) are programmed to hide weaknesses as the weak ones are the ones who fall prey or fail to win a mate.

Look at it that way - you are just overcoming a unnecessary genetic programming by admitting you need some help and getting it!

The quicker you get help, the less likely it will be anything to cause a REAL weakness down the line.

You CAN do it - and take you GF along to hold your hand!
smile.png

I'm THERE with ya - I did go to the doc last year for a lump in my NECK of all places. Prior to that it's been a LONGGGG time - I even had my last baby at home to avoid the hospital and doctors
big_smile.png

I don't mind needles - I donated blood for years so it doesn't bother me. When you really think about it - a needle doesn't hurt THAT much .... I have had piercings that hurt WAY WAY more (the tattoo also hurt more)

I don't GO to doctors, because I don't fully TRUST them - I think a lot of their decisions are based on what the drug companies are supplying them with....

You should really go - trust me I know it sucks - but doctors DO have a place in my world - hence going to be seen about that lump (which my HORSE took care of by the way
gig.gif
)

Anyway, take what they say with a dash of salt and get a second opinion!

I dont get how you can get Tattoos and piercings but are afraid of a needle
idunno.gif

Sometimes things can be taken care of easy if you get your a** in to the doc......but not so easy if you wait. Waiting also just builds up anxiety. I hope you go soon, Good Luck
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif
She bucked me OFF.... I had a helmet on, of course and the strap was right over where the lump was (I had been to the doc, he said it was a tumor, then another appointment and he did a needle aspiration and it was a cyst of some kind.) anyhoo, the buck off and fall, shoook my world for sure, I couldn't walk for a while, I had whiplash - but it broke the cyst. It was drained and a tiny bump within minutes, but grew up again to a large golf ball size, but then started to get smaller all by itself again - really weird. I can still feel a tiny little bump - but like the size of a pea!
So yeah, my horse took care of it - the HARD way
gig.gif

I was all set to have to go for a CAT scan to see if the lump/cyst was in the salivary gland or not and to schedule surgery to remove it. I was to schedule that surgery in November last year.
lol.png

Well thanks for the replies...as far as the tattoos and piercings, I didnt say it was easy, on the contrary I didnt do well with those either. I got the tattoos when I was 18 and I remember sitting there and it was find, didnt really even hurt but as soon as the artist said.."hows it look?" and I looked down at the blood on my arm I started freaking out. I was like "man, it's hot in here...is the ac on? "I had to get up walk to the bathroom, splash cold water on my face , take a few deep breaths and get back in the chair...after that I was fine.

Same with the piercings, I have 4 12 ga. in my ears...the first 2 were no problem, the 3rd i was getting woozy..by #4 i went out LOL

I knew it was gonna suck but i wanted them done so i went through it anyway.

I wish i knew what caused the anxiety...just sitting here thinking about it make me nauseated and I have no idea why. I've been like that since I was a little kid.

Really Quad, I've had tons of needles from donating blood - it doens't hurt at all - perhaps its the sight of the blood or the sight of the needle going in?
I do look away at the last second - I dont' like to SEE it go in but I like to know WHEN to expect it.

When I had the needle asipiration on my neck it was traumatic because i didn't know WHEN it was gonna go in- not HURT but when!!! It was totally painless, and the yell of the doctor when it was discovered to be a cyst not a tumor drowned it all out - and I was so dang happy and had to sit still for another couple of minutes still.

You need to figure out for yourself what it is that causes the anxiety - pain, the thought of it, the sight of it or the blood... and work from there...

Back
Top Bottom