Does anybody know what breed this Roo might be? He is about 5 months old

No we didn't hatch him. Our chicken venture started with my husband stopping by farm and home supply this past april and picking up 3 chickens (now we have 7), without knowing anything about them! Now we're hooked! So we have figured out the breed of our pullets, but just can't figure out what our beautiful young man is....

If he's a Red Sex link he would have been called that or a Golden Commet or a Red Star. You can ask your hubby if any of those names sound familiar...but if so the store should have sold him as a Roo because you can tell from the day those birds hatch which sex they are.

Last edited:
The farm stores will sometimes sell sex links "straight run", the people who know what they are will pick out the girls. If you don't know that the particular name they gave them is supposed to be a sex link, people don't realize the left over chicks are all roosters once the colored girls are picked out. More than once I have seen stores around here with leftover (male) sex-link chicks on sale for $1, and no where do they say they are roosters.

The farm stores will sometimes sell sex links "straight run", the people who know what they are will pick out the girls. If you don't know that the particular name they gave them is supposed to be a sex link, people don't realize the left over chicks are all roosters once the colored girls are picked out. More than once I have seen stores around here with leftover (male) sex-link chicks on sale for $1, and no where do they say they are roosters.

Wow, that's just plain rude! Why on earth would they sell sex links straight run? Makes no sense to me. Simply to catch the uninformed and get rid of the cockerels easily, ya think?

Wow, that's just plain rude! Why on earth would they sell sex links straight run?  Makes no sense to me. Simply to catch the uninformed and get rid of the cockerels easily, ya think?

That is about all I can figure so far as why the stores do it. Hatcheries will all sell them straight run also, so it is not that so much as that the stores let people pick through them then just keep selling the males without specifically telling people they are boys. I think a large part of it is ignorance on the part of the employees, an amazing number have no idea what they are talking about. There has been more than one story on byc about people buying leghorns or something similar as layers or as pets and winding up with some sort of cornish meat bird, so it isn't just the sex links the stores are messing up.

Back
Top Bottom