Does anyone know how a calico silkie like this could be replicated?

Dani13563

Chirping
Oct 4, 2023
Hello everyone! I recently came across this link to a Facebook page with AMAZING silkies 😍:

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1097723890267962.1073741847.908716215835398&type=3

Does anyone know how this color could possibly be made? The lady who bred them is retired now, but said that the color is just splash with red leakage that was then bred together to enhance it. How do you get a splash silkie with red leakage? The breeder said that she did not cross splash with buff, and that it’s just pure splash. Thank you in advance! ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    869.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4645.jpeg
    IMG_4645.jpeg
    933.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 43
Hello everyone! I recently came across this link to a Facebook page with AMAZING silkies 😍:

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1097723890267962.1073741847.908716215835398&type=3

Does anyone know how this color could possibly be made? The lady who bred them is retired now, but said that the color is just splash with red leakage that was then bred together to enhance it. How do you get a splash silkie with red leakage? The breeder said that she did not cross splash with buff, and that it’s just pure splash. Thank you in advance! ☺️

You get a splash silkie with red leakage in almost exactly the same way you get a black one with red leakage, but it also needs two copies of the blue gene.

To get black ones with leakage, either breed the ones that have some leakage until you get ones with more leakage, or cross a black to one that shows a lot of red and you should get some blacks with leakage among their chicks.

You can have black, blue, or splash depending on how many copies of the blue gene are present in the chickens. That part will follow the same patterns as any other breedings involving black, blue, and splash.

To get splash, each parent must be either blue or splash (amount of leakage has no effect on whether they have the blue gene or not.) Splash x splash will give only splash. Blue x splash gives blue chicks and splash chicks. Blue x blue gives some splash chicks, some blue chicks, some black chicks.

Edit to add: I just re-read the comments in the one image. Just splash with leakage, bred to other splashes with leakage, probably breeding from the birds with the most leakage in each generation. No need to cross in anything else.

Last edited:
You get a splash silkie with red leakage in almost exactly the same way you get a black one with red leakage, but it also needs two copies of the blue gene.

To get black ones with leakage, either breed the ones that have some leakage until you get ones with more leakage, or cross a black to one that shows a lot of red and you should get some blacks with leakage among their chicks.

You can have black, blue, or splash depending on how many copies of the blue gene are present in the chickens. That part will follow the same patterns as any other breedings involving black, blue, and splash.

To get splash, each parent must be either blue or splash (amount of leakage has no effect on whether they have the blue gene or not.) Splash x splash will give only splash. Blue x splash gives blue chicks and splash chicks. Blue x blue gives some splash chicks, some blue chicks, some black chicks.

Edit to add: I just re-read the comments in the one image. Just splash with leakage, bred to other splashes with leakage, probably breeding from the birds with the most leakage in each generation. No need to cross in anything else.
Thank you so much! 💕

That's an incredibly beautiful Silkie. I've gotten rid of all my Silkies except one... But this one would make me reconsider getting more just like this.... 😂
I definitely would get silkies if it wasn’t for having a bunch of mean old hens. 🥲

Back
Top Bottom