Does greenish tinged coelom fluid mean infection?

Lucky is having a really good day. Here’s a video of her right now, along with her friends. Excuse the ugly white tarps on part of the run. I had to slap them up super quick before I left on my trip and didn’t get even get them tight. I think I’ll get the clear shower curtains and do a better job of it this year, but I had to get some thing up real quick before I left.

The important thing is that Luckys body language is very good today. Maybe she’ll surprise us like Ruby and hang on for awhile.

Wow she is doing well! So glad to see this :love

The nugget in Lucky's crop was a little bigger today than yesterday and I saw her go over to the dry crumble, pick some up and drop it. So I did bring her in briefly, tubed 25mL of warm, half water, half clear Pedialyte, and worked the nugget over with my hand. I quickly released her back to the run with her friends and she went on with her day. She still feels good today despite the dough in her crop. She also burped once when I was massaging her crop and it didn’t stink at all. Go, Girl!

Last edited:
I had to be at work today by 6:15am, so I didn’t get to evaluate Lucky’s body language. Her crop had a doughy wad in it.

When I got home after work, I donned a red head lamp and brought baby bird formula spiked with nutridrench and lots of olive oil to the roost and Lucky ate heartily. I hope the oil helps clear her crop, gizzard, etc. a bit more.

I also picked a giant turd off her butt feathers. Bummer that she’s not clearing her feathers, but AWESOME that it was a real, actual turd I was able to pull off of her. 🤣

I think I’ll keep assisting her with her crop since her digestive system seems to be improving.

In the morning, I thought I felt fluid in her abdomen, but later I did not. The butt feather turd sure sounds like she could be swollen back there, but I’m not sure. I’ll follow Lucky’s lead. I don’t want to prolong suffering, but it seems she feels better since I’ve been helping her.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. This morning Lucky's crop was not empty, but it didn’t have a firm nugget. It had more soft, liquidy material in it. Her body language and voice were very good. I did give her some fluid and gave them one single serving cup of Nonfat Greek yogurt for protein and probiotics. I know for sure Lucky got some. Hopefully she didn’t overindulge. LOL. I also used a damp rag on her back end while I had her in the house for the fluid. She was only in the house for about five minutes and didn’t seem to mind. You know when you’re cleaning up a chicken’s back side and they sort of do grooming nibbles on your skin? That is so darn cute.

@azygous, since there wasn’t anything firm in her crop that I could feel, do you think maybe the oil last night helped move things along? I guess I won’t really know till I continue to monitor her crop in the mornings. Don’t worry, I did hear your advice about letting it be a “good enough,” but I’m not quite ready to give in yet.

Last edited:
I happen to know for a fact, being an old chick myself, that it's a stellar situation when an old chick wakes up, manages to get out of bed, has the motivation to go through grooming rituals, has the energy to eat, has the social drive to mingle and interact with her own species, and makes it though the day without a medical issue putting a wrench in the gears.

This is the basis of my "good enough" philosophy regarding old chicks.

I happen to know for a fact, being an old chick myself, that it's a stellar situation when an old chick wakes up, manages to get out of bed, has the motivation to go through grooming rituals, has the energy to eat, has the social drive to mingle and interact with her own species, and makes it though the day without a medical issue putting a wrench in the gears.

This is the basis of my "good enough" philosophy regarding old chicks.
I too am an old chick and completely concur with your view. It is to be celebrated when we are able to do all those things.

Back
Top Bottom