Dog attacked Chicks - How to Care For?!

emilydharris95

Hatching
Apr 30, 2018
We had an accident today. ):

Two of our chicks (9-10 weeks old) were hurt by our dogs (the chicks got in the middle of a wrestling match. Normally they are great together!)

On the back of their necks/top of their back, there is a large chunk taken out.
Chick A seems fine with the worst damage. She is looking around like normal, drinking, and cuddled up to her not so lucky friend.
Chick B was having a harder time - breathing heavily, pooping a lot. But since she has calmed down and will drink water & look around when we enter the room to check on them. She can lift her neck, but seems to be weak when doing so.

We used peroxide and cotton swabs to clean the area. They’re hanging out in my garden tub with water & food.

Is there any other advice on taking care of them? How long should I keep them inside to heal? Can I speed the process up anyhow?
It’s been almost 12 hours & they’re still alive & calm. Just resting.

I feel so bad! I really don’t believe or dogs meant to hurt them. They are around them all the time without issue.

We also have had a Rooster & Hens for several months now without incident! I’m more nervous about introducing these chicks to the hens now. They’ve been bullied enough.

We had an accident today. ):

Two of our chicks (9-10 weeks old) were hurt by our dogs (the chicks got in the middle of a wrestling match. Normally they are great together!)

On the back of their necks/top of their back, there is a large chunk taken out.
Chick A seems fine with the worst damage. She is looking around like normal, drinking, and cuddled up to her not so lucky friend.
Chick B was having a harder time - breathing heavily, pooping a lot. But since she has calmed down and will drink water & look around when we enter the room to check on them. She can lift her neck, but seems to be weak when doing so.

We used peroxide and cotton swabs to clean the area. They’re hanging out in my garden tub with water & food.

Is there any other advice on taking care of them? How long should I keep them inside to heal? Can I speed the process up anyhow?
It’s been almost 12 hours & they’re still alive & calm. Just resting.

I feel so bad! I really don’t believe or dogs meant to hurt them. They are around them all the time without issue.

Back
Top Bottom