dog attacks

Did you make the owner pay for your chickens? Did you shoot the dog? Did you get replacement chickens yet? Sorry for your lost, but those questions need to be asked. The answers are make the owner pay first. The three S rule. Get some more chickens and enjoy them and the eggs they give you. In many cases such as this it is to bad in is against the law, but I think the owner of the dog should take the punishment I deal out to the dog.

There are 2 schools of thought on this subject. One is to either confront the dog owner yourself or have animal control dept do it. Try to get them to pay for the damage, etc. The problem with this approach is that some people just don't think their dogs did it (where's your proof?), or don't care because, after all, you can buy a chicken at Walmart for a few dollars, so no big deal. Their dogs are wonderful, never cause any trouble, etc. Then there are other people who will try to get even with you for causing them trouble. Some people will do the right thing and pay you for the damage, and keep their dogs home in the future. You won't know which kind of person your are dealing with until you try it.

The other school of thought is the three S-es, shoot, shovel, and shut up. This eliminates the dog problem, but if the owner knows you shot his dog, he may try to cause you trouble.

The best solution to the problem is to avoid it in the first place. The only way to do that is to build a formidable fortress for your chickens, and other critters, that dogs can't tear into. I've tried to do that and so far haven't lost any more chickens to dogs or coyotes. Hawks and owls are a different matter tho.

In the past 6 months I have lost 17 out of 20 chickens to neighborhood hunting dogs. The latest was yesterday, when a young hunting dog jumped the owners fence and entered my yard. He had killed 2 of 5 remaining ladies. When I confronted them while the attack was going on they did nothing at all. I finally had to grab the dog myself and heave him back over the fence. This morning the owner was out putting a higher fence, but allowed as I needed to "lighten up" after all it was "just a chicken". An offer to pay a few bucks to replace the chicken but no apology. It just doesn't seem right.

When I confronted them while the attack was going on they did nothing at all. I finally had to grab the dog myself and heave him back over the fence. This morning the owner was out putting a higher fence, but allowed as I needed to "lighten up" after all it was "just a chicken". An offer to pay a few bucks to replace the chicken but no apology. It just doesn't seem right.

Gee, wonder how he'd feel if you shot the dog right in front of him and when he had a fit, said, "hey, it's just a dog."
rant.gif
somad.gif

Well, like normal people I don't carry a shotgun around with me while doing my weekend projects. After I heaved his dog (60 lbs) over the fence to stop the attack. His brother allowed as how if I ever touched the dog again he would jump the fence and beat the bleep out of me. I told him next time the dog was killing chickens I would kill the dog, he very graphically described what he would do to me if I killed his thousand dollar hunting dog. Being that this is AZ where might makes right, I do have to be careful with the response no matter how appropriate. But I do agree with the "it's just a dog" comment!

Well - this happened on saturday and this being budget cuts etc, etc. our county does not offer this service on weekends. I can call tomorrow but he has put in a higher fence and so I really don't think animal control will do anything at this point. And I will have made a tense situation worse.

As a new member I do appreciate the support!

Back
Top Bottom