Dog Experts: Cute, neutered, and dumped. Cairn Terrier or a mix?

I say Silky/Cairn mix. I have owned both and he is not a Yorkie (we have 2 here for the next 2 weeks (my sisters) and I have groomed all 3 breeds lol

He is a cutie. I would take him to the Vet to see if he is microchipped and he might not be neutered! Just because his umm "jewels" arent there he could be retaining them making him a crypto dog.

Good luck on placing him. He is precious!

Quote:
It doesn't have the black Yorkie saddle and weighs at least...I'd guess 6-8lbs. I'll weigh him today, he's been Frontlined and is getting wormed here pretty soon.

AND he's housebroke! At least he whimpered to be let out this morning, no in-the-night accidents. Very quite little dog, he's snoozing by my feet.

He does have a coarse coat, not really much of a soft, fluffy undercoat to speak of. I want to trim the hair on his face a little, the hair under and around his mouth is rather icky. The PO said they found him eating cow poop.

So far, no chicken eating, chasing, or stalking
smile.png
Showed some interest in my rabbits, though I don't think he's really what you'd call a 'hunting type'.

Quote:
It doesn't have the black Yorkie saddle and weighs at least...I'd guess 6-8lbs. I'll weigh him today, he's been Frontlined and is getting wormed here pretty soon.

AND he's housebroke! At least he whimpered to be let out this morning, no in-the-night accidents. Very quite little dog, he's snoozing by my feet.

He does have a coarse coat, not really much of a soft, fluffy undercoat to speak of. I want to trim the hair on his face a little, the hair under and around his mouth is rather icky. The PO said they found him eating cow poop.

smile.png
Showed some interest in my rabbits, though I don't think he's really what you'd call a 'hunting type'.

One of my sisters purebred Yorkies weighs about 16 pounds yep you read that right 16 pounds lol BUT I still say he is Silky/Cairn terrier mix. I think YOU should just keep him lol lol

I'd be tempted to have him checked for a micro-chip. I'd guess there's a possibility that he's a lost dog rather than abandoned. Either case, it's a good thing that you are doing.

Quote:

smile.png

As Yorkies age they often loose a lot of the black, and given the littles dogs weight, I would say it has to be a Yorkie. Yorkies standard is 7lbs. Silkies should be about 9 to 10" at the shoulders with it's body 1/5 longer in proportion to the height. weight should be proportional to the size. The Carin Terrier is ideal at 10" at the shoulder and 14lbs. AKC does not give a minimum height on the Yorkie. As breeder I have seen a lot of variations in just litters let lone the Yorkies that I meet. The solid color is considered a disqualification for showing, but as I stated earlier that an old dogs will sometimes loose all the black with age. The little dogs muzzle is rather long for a Carin terrier. He looks a lot like my Miss Berry. She was slightly larger than standard, her coat was very similar and she was fading into a gold color.

I would be hard pressed to get the difference between and Silkie and Yorkie based off of pictures only, but the Carin really should look blockier than the little guy in the picture. By blockier I mean a squarer proportion. They remind me of really cute Army tanks. The long muzzle is not right. He could be malnourished, but just eating cow poop, is something that my very well fed dogs have been known to do.
sickbyc.gif

He looks yorkie to me. Seen plenty of blonde ones. Just looks like his coat needs some TLC. A better standing side picture of him would be nice.
I like the bigger yorkies. They aren't supposed to be so tiny. I had a 12# boy and loved him to bits. Longer legged, intact tail and he was an awesome mouser!

Quote:
Google photos of cairn mixes you will be surprised at all the different looks you can find! I saw some Australian Shep/Poodle mixes that are BEYOND adorable when I was googling Cairn mixes

Back
Top Bottom