Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Beautiful dogs! You must not have cockleburs or burdock? Or do they get brushed frequently?
Flo has never been brushed. Pup Pup has been a couple times. They remove the offending seeds themselves. They send a lot of time checking their coats as they go out into the bush daily. Our place is bushier than most which should be evident from pictures.

Known as 'farm collies' where I grew up. And likely the same original genetics (haven't researched it) as modern show type collies.
Mary
Not same as modern show type collies. The English Shepherds in the US are closer to what Romans used. Farm collie term is used in many places.

Modern breeds are selected for looks or a very specific function and usually a combination of those making so they are inbred. Mine produced pups where all of the following color morphs were represented; tricolored which seems most popular, black and tan, black and white like Border Collie, tan (sable), tan (sable) and white, brindle, and brindle and white. I see two distinct behaviors as well, one that seems suited for driving livestock and another more suited for tracking like good for hunting rabbits and squirrels.

I did say 'original genetics', of course modern show type collies differ greatly! Dogs are so 'plastic' when selecting for looks only, it's easy to see how these changes were made, especially when there's no selection for working abilities (or brains!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom