Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
The county adjacent to ours no longer allows our residents to surrender their unwanted cats or dogs at their facility anymore.They also quit sponsoring vouchers to have our cats or dogs spayed or neutered there by vets in their county. Because our county doesn't have a shelter, a vet or a spay clinic it leaves many of the poorest residents here with no way to deal with dogs running at large, strays or animals that need rescued. Many of the people here need help with spaying or neutering.(Its one of the poorest counties in the nation) I met with the city a couple months ago to address my concerns and asked them to donate land so I can build a shelter myself but I haven't heard anything from them yet.I was hoping the city would be more helpful so I wouldn't have to go to the county and ask for help but they weren't. My next trip will be to our County Commissioners like you!
I hope this works out for you. Announce if/when it does, and if/when you start a fundraiser of any sort, I'll support it!

I hope this works out for you. Announce if/when it does, and if/when you start a fundraiser of any sort, I'll support it!
Bless you! I forced this county to put a county shelter in back in the 90's and my name ended up in a story on the front page of the local newspaper.It wasn't a kind review mind you. After i got a divorce and left here they didn't hesitate to shut it back down once I sold what I had here.I retired a couple years back and came back.Low and behold I find its even worse than before.I have land in both counties so I'm trying to decide whether to stay and fight or move to the other county.Guess it'll all depend on what the county says at the next meeting.I hate not to help the people here but they need to be more involved.I can't do it all by myself.

Bless you! I forced this county to put a county shelter in back in the 90's and my name ended up in a story on the front page of the local newspaper.It wasn't a kind review mind you. After i got a divorce and left here they didn't hesitate to shut it back down once I sold what I had here.I retired a couple years back and came back.Low and behold I find its even worse than before.I have land in both counties so I'm trying to decide whether to stay and fight or move to the other county.Guess it'll all depend on what the county says at the next meeting.I hate not to help the people here but they need to be more involved.I can't do it all by myself.
That's the truth. People want services but they don't want to be taxed or otherwise pony up to pay for them. My county seems to have neither landfill services nor animal control. 🙄

That's the truth. People want services but they don't want to be taxed or otherwise pony up to pay for them. My county seems to have neither landfill services nor animal control. 🙄
Sorry off topic. Here is tax to pay for that. I will pay with dog pic. Gracie barking at intruders. (Shadrach taught me well.)

PXL_20220131_015530828.jpg

Revenge tends to cause problems, as people reciprocate back and forth. And killing the dog will not bring those birds back to life. So no, I do not think there is any right to revenge.

But since some birds were still alive, shooting the dog can help protect them. And the birds that were loose are not the only birds OP has. There are other birds in pens, and other birds that OP may want to let loose in future-- so there are a large number of birds that can be protected by removing the dog that is already proven to kill chickens. (Well, the other dogs need to get removed or confined too, but if shooting one will cause the owner to confine them all, then that is also successful in protecting the chickens.)

So I think the shooting was sensible, but only when viewed as protecting living chickens, not as revenge.
You can get the same result by shooting into the air. Shooting the dog is not a solution, but it a way to have a permanent feud. People can say, "So what" till all your chickens end up poisoned, or YOUR dogs poisoned in retribution. The minute people think they are going to be the ones that take control, is the moment they LOSE all control. I know this situation well. Horrible things have been done, court cases, and just hateful atmosphere for 30 years and no sign of it ending. BOTH SIDES LOSE! There will be no winner, financially, or by having peace where they live. It will now and forever be a war zone.

There will be no winner, financially, or by having peace where they live. It will now and forever be a war zone.
Not necessarily. That's a worst-case scenario. If Person A shoots (another) one of Person B's dogs, Person B MAY decide it is really in his own best interest to keep his dogs off Person A's property, and there's the end of the matter. He may do so, now that he knows that Person A is within his legal rights to do so, AND has, to date, refrained from doing so. Lady B is the wild card in this scenario.

That's the truth. People want services but they don't want to be taxed or otherwise pony up to pay for them. My county seems to have neither landfill services nor animal control.
People have a million things they'd rather do than volunteer in their communities .At least that's what I've found most places.

You can get the same result by shooting into the air.
No, shooting in the air does NOT give "the same result" as shooting that kills a dog.

Obvious differences: whether the dog is able to come back, how upset the owners are, and how seriously the owners take the situation.

If you keep reading (several months of ongoing posts), you will see that OP has been trying non-lethal methods, but that simple noise (like shooting in the air) is NOT enough to deter these dogs. The dogs keep coming back, over and over again.

(If you want the whole story, read the whole thread-- it's too much to easily summarize.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom