Dog kennel run recommendations?

56Chicks

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have some new hawks in the neighborhood and would like to expand my predator-proofed, welded wire run to give my hens more space while they remain locked up. I was thinking of attaching and adapting a 10x10 (larger would also be fine) dog kennel to my existing run, but I know the quality of the wire or chain link can vary a lot (I of course will fortify with plenty of hardware cloth). What are some brands and models you have been happy with, and are there any you have tried and would not recommend?
Thank you!

Tracter Supply has a few available on their site. You would of course as mentioned to reinforce with the hardwire cloth :p

Tracter Supply has a few available on their site. You would of course as mentioned to reinforce with the hardwire cloth :p
Thanks! I have seen those but just wondered if any were especially good or especially disappointing.

My opinion is that as long as you are using hardware cloth, anything will work. Though I MUCH prefer welded wire in general, if using chain link, for ME it has a bar across the center (horizontally) too. (And chain link is easy for a dog to destroy if they so choose. So HC is a MUST! (I also ONLY use 6 feet tall. Because I am NOT messing with not being able to stand upright in it!)

I have a welded wire, Retriever Lodge Expandable Kennel, 10 ft. L x 5 ft. W x 6 ft. H, TI-095, from Tractor Supply that I use inside my garage in the winter to make two pens for my chickens in the winter. My swing set coop and run was crushed from a large branch during a wind storm last fall. I am thinking of putting the kennel outdoors (possibly with some nex extensions) and wrapping the bottom with hardware cloth. Will this be sufficient to keep the chickens safe? They will be locked in a coop at night, What size of hardware cloth should I use?

PS. Most of the run will be over concrete and I will put wire on the ground outside the run where it is not over concrete.

I am thinking of putting the kennel outdoors (possibly with some nex extensions) and wrapping the bottom with hardware cloth. Will this be sufficient to keep the chickens safe? They will be locked in a coop at night, What size of hardware cloth should I use?
1/2" HWC should be fine in most cases, if you have a big mouse problem then 1/4" is a possibility though the wire is thinner.

Back
Top Bottom