dog killed and injured chickens

kristysedai

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I am so sad! I never had a pet when I was little so we got six chicks for our kids. They have been awesome pets and great egg layers. Today someone was frantically ringing my doorbell and knocking and man was there and her said, "A dog is killing your chickens!" I was too scared to go out there. I opened the window and a big dog was staring at me. I yelled at it and it just looked bored. Some random guy came by and chased it out with a stick. It killed my cute silkie and injured the Auruacana. Two were missing. I called my husband sobbing and he came home from work. We found the lost ones. Now I don't know what to do about the injured one. It is walking funny. If it needs to be put down I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

I had a 4 week old chicken get a hurt leg and I gave her 4 weeks to heal, it never happened. I thought it would get better but I guess it just couldn't heal right and it was never able to walk. I took it outside, she was now 8 weeks old, and let her hop around and experience the outdoors for a little while but then I killed her. I felt the leg after death, the joint was messed up, I tried to extend her leg and it just snapped. Leg injuries stink.

old.gif
Do not think about putting this hen down yet! Give the injured one some time. Put her in a warm, quiet place by herself...like a pet carrier or small cage... for a couple days, feed her lots of good food, and she will most likely recover. Might be just a sprain. I have had quite a few injured adult chickens that I thought would never walk again and they are running around the yard now. As long as the leg is not pulled out of the socket or broken, which you should be able to tell, it will heal.

Good luck. Notify the owners of this dog so they can pay for your losses and make sure it does not happen again! Also, take steps of your own to prevent another occurrence. It WILL be back and sounds like it has no fear of you. Not a good situation.

My neighbor thought that it was okay if her dog attacked my flock!
rant.gif
Said, "They are only chickens!" I told her, "I didn't mind if her dog was in my yard as long as she doesn't mind me firing at her dog!" To my amazement, no more dog problem!
bun.gif

Last edited:
I had a neighbor dog get in and kill a couple of my chickens yesterday too. I have had several issues with the neighbor and their dogs and am thinking about taking them to small claims court. So, does anyone know what the value of a chicken would be over it's life span? Eggs laid, chicks hatched...... The dog got two hens and injured a rooster trying to protect the hens. The poor things couldn't get away cause I had just trimmed their wings to keep them in the pen. I had to hold the dog off with a shovel till the owner came and got it.

We have a neighbor dog that harrasses all of our animals. My husband shoots it with paint balls using a manual sling shot (I think it's kind of attractive that he is such a good shot!). She stays away now (=

Give the hen time to heal.If it doesn't work out you can always put it down.Hope you find the dog owner.Get some bear mace to spray it.If there was a next time for me I would be SSSing that bored dog.

Back
Top Bottom