Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have raised and trained ranch dogs most of my life. Puppies require consistent, ongoing training to learn to leave chickens alone, especially chicks. To leave a 6 month old pup alone with access to things that, to it, amount to fun toys to catch and play with, and expecting pup to have the maturity to ignore all that, is setting the pup up for epic failure. Our responsibility to care for and protect our livestock must extend to our dogs as well in the form of proper upbringing. If they are expected to be good ranch dogs they deserve the time and effort to train them before expecting them to act like fully trained, adult dogs.

it would never be my pleasure to kill a dog, but is he/she were in my yard killing my lifestock - that's what would happen. i have two german shepherds. they're NEVER out. can you imagine if my 98 pound male was in someone's yard killing their little dog or cat? there would be hell to pay. what's the difference?
i'm not interested in suing someone. i don't like dealing w/the judicial system. it's a dirty system. i will simply defend what's mine.

Dogs are the most wonderful loyal and loving friends and helpers, and I would never live without them. Having said that, after more years than I care to admit to of dog ownership, I feel qualified to say that there is no such thing as 100% reliability in them or any other creature. They can all be predatory and their prey is small furry or feathery. It's in their nature. Young children should NEVER, EVER be left alone with a dog, and I speak as one who has raised children always around dogs. Dogs like children need boundaries in their behaviour but they also need peace and space to sleep and eat.

Dogs do best in households that are not chaotic and noisy (so do people). I have never kennelled a dog as I have found that they respond best to the constant interaction of the family around them. It is unfair to chain a dog up all day and then expect it to behave mildly. These are creatures that roam in their natural lives. If you fear that no matter what precautions you take your dog may escape and worry other people pats or worse still their children, the only safe thing to do is to muzzle them. Dogs crave exercise and can become aggressive if they are not given the opportunity to release that energy.

I have read this whole thread and do not understand the comments such as "we live in the country, and it is acceptable and common to allow dogs to roam and run free." I live in the country and do not find it acceptable at all! It is only a matter of time until they cause BIG problems for someone. Certainly wont be for the owner since the dogs are not home. I have a neighbor who lets her dogs run wild. They tear up the trash, poo is other people's yards, have killed chickens, guinea fowl and I have seen them attempting to dig under my fence 3 times. Why should I have to be subjected to this just because I live in the country???? This mindset of roaming dogs is unacceptable is a HUGE bother to me and is not fair to those of us who keep our dogs at home where they belong!

OUCH! Sorry. Luckily, I have mine inside a 7' privacy fence with 2 90+ pounds dogs that are too lazy to care about them, but seem to HATE raccoons and squirrels, so I'm hoping they will be OK, but keep hearing about raccoon damage, and thinking I should just make it happen and bury some fence before they get killed. I have a small flock, so any death sets me back.:( Hope your neoghbor learned a lesson?

Oh, I'm so sorry.. and I'm shaking with anger for you! Good for you. I hope these people are going to compensate you monetarily, though they can never compensate for your experience in having your pets slaughtered or in having to kill their dog. When will dog owners ever learn?!

I am so sorry you had to do this.
hugs.gif

No choise but to protect your flock.

So sad you lost your flock this way but am glad you took care of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom