Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to hear about your chickens. When I was growing up I was always told once a dog gets a taste of chicken blood they always go back. I had a dog as a child that went across the creek and came back with blood all over her mouth & coat. I could hear chickens squawking. I knew if she went back over the creek she would get shot. Just like if we had dogs that would come and chase cattle or horses they were shot. I put my dog up in an outside kennel & lucky for me she did not go back. However, I could not shoot the dog but I understand why you did.

Im sorry about your chickens, but i just dont feel like shooting the dog was the right thing to do, chase it off, scare it sure, but just like your chickens were your pets, that dog, is someones pet to. not every dog that gets loose is let loose by their owners to wander the neighborhood, I have a dog that is constantly digging out of his pen and i have tried everything to make him stay in, and beyond checking on him every 5 min have been unsucessfull.
you are actually likely to get less in court because they had a loss to. I would rather have scared the dog away and gotten more money than killed the dog, its like the phrase and eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. but thats just my opinion, and im very sorry for your loss and sorry for the poor people who lost their dog as well. my condolances to all involved.

I fail to see why a dog owner cannot contain one single canine with their own dig barriers, just like us chicken owners who put dig barriers on the outside of our pens to keep them out. It's not rocket science, really, folks. I had dogs for 30 years and just lost my last one at the age of 15. Not once did I ever lose track of my dogs. I put up an appropriate fence at every house we lived in and managed to keep them all contained and away from my own chickens, even the one with a high prey drive.

I really do not care that it's someone's pet if it's on my property, killing or trying to kill my chickens. The law backs me up on that, too. My birds are in my care and most are older than the dogs around here, and have been with me since hatch day. That is my priority, keeping them safe, not some irresponsible dog owner's feelings. I take care of my animals and they ought to figure out how to outfox their own dog, if they even care in the first place (most just don't care at all, I've found, at least in the country).

Last edited:
I fail to see why a dog owner cannot contain one single canine with their own dig barriers, just like us chicken owners who put dig barriers on the outside of our pens to keep them out. It's not rocket science, really, folks. I had dogs for 30 years and just lost my last one at the age of 15. Not once did I ever lose track of my dogs. I put up an appropriate fence at every house we lived in and managed to keep them all contained and away from my own chickens, even the one with a high prey drive.

I really do not care that it's someones pet if it's on my property, killing or trying to kill my chickens. The law backs me up on that, too. My birds are in my care and most are older than the dogs around here, and have been with me since hatch day. That is my priority, keeping them safe, not some irresponsible dog owner's feelings. I take care of my animals and they ought to figure out how to outfox their own dog, if they even care in the first place (most just don't care at all, I've found, at least in the country).

thumbsup.gif
goodpost.gif
yesss.gif
Extremely well said & I TOTALLY AGREE with you 200%. I do everything in my power & then some, to protect my chickens from predators, whether they are someones "pets" that "escaped" or were turned out (because the owners don't care) or natural predators. They are the same as far as I'm concerned. Your signature line says it all Speckledhen, love it. A dog on its owner's property is a pet; A dog on someone else's property is a predator. Our laws here in SC are about the same as yours, we have EVERY right to protect our property & livestock or pets. Dog's that come on our property are shot, plain & simple & if they have a collar, the owner is paid a visit by Animal Control & given a $350.00 ticket for not keeping their animals on their OWN property & they are notified that they are responsible for any and all damages their "pet" caused.

I have a terrier mix that protects my flock. He also helps me herd the flock when they venture off.

Last edited:
it would never be my pleasure to kill a dog, but is he/she were in my yard killing my lifestock - that's what would happen. i have two german shepherds. they're NEVER out. can you imagine if my 98 pound male was in someone's yard killing their little dog or cat? there would be hell to pay. what's the difference?
i'm not interested in suing someone. i don't like dealing w/the judicial system. it's a dirty system. i will simply defend what's mine.

So did you take them to court? did you win?

I have a person that lives about 6 houses down the road, they walk their dog up to my house he does his thing in my yard and they walk away. Well after a month of this I walked down there with a 5 gallon bucket full of their dogs poop. Knocked on the door and handed him the bucket saying these words " I think you left this in my yard by mistake, being a good enighbor and all I did not want you to go with out" you should have saw the look on their face.

He went to say something I interuppted and stated. " No need to thank me, your welcome" Not another word was said

He has not pooped in our yard since then, Turns out they had no clue that it was rude to do this. My other neighbor told me that they now pick up their dogs poop

That is one of the coolest, ballsiest things I have ever heard. You are my hero! (the poop thing, that is).

Its sad that you had to shoot a dog, but its not your fault, you have to protect your flock.

I got a pit bull from the humane society (a real sweetie with the kids) and he promptly killed about a dozen of my chickens and I promptly went out and got a shock collar and turned it up to ten. The chickens can now literally walk all over him and if he so much as looks at them, ZAP! I don't even mess around with the little beep function for those moments when I think he might be thinking about chasing a chiken, I go directly to the zap. One of my chickens actually climbed on top of him and perched on his back while he was laying in the yard and all he did was avert his eyes. I also bought a wireless fence system to curb his need to roam because I found him bothering my neighbors cats (eating their food and trying to play pit bull style with their kitten) and then I saw him take a dump in my neighbors corn field. That was it, as soon as he goes past the point of no return, there's a beep and then a zap.

I don't want my neighbors bringing me a bucket of poop! Or a dead pet.

Last edited:
I would think a corn field would be a preferable place for him to take a dump. As far as the bucket of poop to the neighbor, that is a hilarious story. How could someone be so ignorant as not to know it is rude to allow the dogs to dump all over someone else's yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom