Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I try to live my life such that I don't respond to violence with violence. I certainly have more willpower than a dog. I can choose not to respond to gut instinct but instead to think through a situation and apply forgiveness and compassion. I AM sorry for your loss. But my empathy extends not only to you and yours, but others as well.

Quote:
OK. You apply forgiveness and compassion while the poor chickens get to die in agony. Doesn't sound all that compassionate to me.
roll.png

the six i have, from chihuahuas to currs, do NOT bother the chickens, rabbitts, or kittens. One, a standard pomeranian mix, was a bit overzealous in playing with the birds and other animals, but with a little training, he now goes in the run with me and lays down while i work. birds hoppin over and around him, and never a twitch. some dogs, through breed, training, mistreatment, starvation...etc, are predatious, and will kill, and once they do i dont think they can be re-trained. Those are the dogs im speaking of, and if my neighbors sweet little whatever housedog got out and killed a chicken, im certainly not going to kill it, but if it becomes a habit or a problem where i cant get any cooperation, well... I am a responsible owner, but away from big city life, ive got to contend with dogs people dump, and sometimes they arent sweet and cuddly.

and Meara, i understand what you're saying, sort of, but sometimes there is no choice. I dont react out of emotion, I react out of a real sense of what is necessary. I dont react off-the-cuff, and if i had i would have never lasted in the military and 22 years as a police officer. Ive got fenced property, a coop, secure run, fixed dogs and cats,...everything i need to keep mine INSIDE and not bothering anyone else, but despite my best efforts, at times im forced to resort to lethal force, and when i do i dont apologize, and i do it with no qualms.

I have had to do the same thing with my neighbors dogs when they kept attacking my animals...too horrible to talk about what they did to my rabbits and my pot bellied pig...one time I came home and found my chickens dead in MY yard from some hunters dog...Ppl. need to realize that their pets should stay in their yards..your chickens were yours and you had every right to defend them...so don't listen to that not fighting fire with fire crap..you do what you have to do to protect yours..I APPLAUD YOU!!

From the sticky at the top of this section that everyone needs to re-read. I'm not moderating here, just reminding some that she took care of the problem the way she saw fit, in a way that was legal to do. She took care of the problem swiftly and without cruelty, did not gloat, called law enforcement to contact the owner, etc. Case closed.

I just want to make clear the purpose of this forum.

*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*That being said, please do not gloat or suggest torturous ways of killing for pleasure or indeed, post in such a way that your predator control can be construed as pleasure killing instead of simply taking care of a problem.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgmental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated.

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defense and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

*Please keep this in mind as we all learn from one another how to deter predators. Thanks.
smile.png

OP - you did what you had to do, so sorry about your loss
hugs.gif

I love animals, and left two baby raccoons that showed up at our place a year or so ago alone (our run is very secure), although some said we should have killed them as a preventative. However, I had my pistol out and ready several months back when a big dog I didn't recognize began running around our fenceline when my girls were out freeranging one day, just in case it came under the fence and went for one of them. As much as I love animals, if something attacks my own, I would kill it, and be all the more ticked and sad that I had too - especially if it was someone's pet.

Quote:
You gotta protect your animals but you don't need to take joy in killing someone elses.

You folks couldn't be more off base here. The last thing I want to do is shoot a dog. I love dogs, have had one most of my life--fenced, always, never allowed to roam, period. If I have to shoot someone's dog, that is severe emotional distress on top of possibly having my pets torn apart. I do not want to kill a dog, any dog, but I will.

If it's a pet, keep it safe on your own property. What's so darn hard about that? If you can't do it, if the dog is smarter than its owner, then the owner just shouldn't have a dog.

When a dog is on its own property, it's a pet. When someone else's dog is on my property, it's a predator. Simple as pie.

x2 I totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom