Dog to be euthanized UPDATE: Euthanasia went BAD (pg 3)

I am so sorry. I have been there and it hurts. Just smile, comfort her and let her know you love het and will see her again. Hold it together and after it is done...squeeze her and cry like a baby all you want to. That is how I got through it, I dis not want my boy scared or seeing me sad and upset. I am sorry
hugs.gif

Thanks so much. I feel guilty because I won't miss the dog I have today so much, but the dog she was a couple of years ago. I feel guilty for not having enough patience as I spoon fed her as she couldn't get food in her mouth as well anymore. I feel guilty as sometimes I would get annoyed at how slow she was or that i couldn't call her; had to touch her to let her know i wanted her to do something.
I feed her a meal, she is standing first, then the hips grow weak and she has to sit, then she loses strength in the front legs and they start spreading, even on carpet, but then the next morning she will run a bit like a darn pup. I wish she could tell me i was doing the right thing. I have to plan to spend quality time with her tomorrow. I'm not sure I am ready for this.

58398_tipper_003.jpg

I am so sorry. It is never easy. I have gone through it before with my previous 2 dogs. You've gave her a good life. Spend her last few days with her and remember all the good times you two shared.
hugs.gif

Heather let me tell you what I did that day. I helped my boy up and down the steps outside for potty, then we had breakfast and he got his favorite people food. Then we played for a bit until his hips started hurting so I made a couple buckets of really warm water, one soapy and in the bright sunshine I gave him a bath and talked to him, I got tons of kisses and lots of eye connections, I dried him off and helped him back inside to his blankie and helped him lay down...he yelped a little from the pain and looked at me...it was in those big beautiful eyes of his....I swear he was telling me "No mama stop helping me" I sat on the floor with him petting him and talking to him while he slept and helped him into the van. We went to lunch and he got his favorite McDonald's hamburger plain with pickles, then to DQ for a vanilla ice cream cone and then to the vet's.

They gave him a shot to make him loopy and I sat on the floor with his paws under my outstretched legs and his head in my lap, petting him and talking to him. The vet came in and gave him the shot, which he never felt and I held him while he went to sleep. I told the vet thank you and took a tissue and wiped away the blood from the shot on his white paw. When the door closed, I lost it! For 30 minutes I was completely out of control and no one cared, no one bothered us as I held him and cried. I put on his favorite red harness and bandana, wrapped him with his favorite blankie and put his favorite toy in it, and let them take him to be cremated.

He had bladder cancer and for months we thought it was a bad infection, the vet's kept trying and finally he was urinating straight blood and yelping when he laid down or had to climb the steps. I looked at him into his eyes and I knew I had to let go and do what was best for him.

You cannot blame yourself or have regrets, nor can you allow those moments of seemingly puppy behavior sway you. Your heart knows what needs to be done and what is best for her and your heart also knows it will hurt you. Be strong for her, show no fear, show her only strength, love and determination to do what is best for her....thank her for all these years of love and companionship and then show your love by saying goodbye and doing what is best for her. But hold no regrets, we all lose patience, life is busy and she knows that. That face in the picture knows and remembers only your love. Let her have that on her last day and in her final moments....let her see and feel only your smile, strength and love....not regret.

I wish I could be there with you and help hold you up....tomorrow, should you feel a weakening moment and your legs feel weak and sudddenly you feel a gentle hand as soft as a whisper or as strong as steel, whichever you need, in your back holding you steady....it will be all of us here, supporting you and caring. You can count on my heart and hand with you.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry. My baby girl is 11 years old and my heart will shatter into a million tiny pieces when her day comes.

If she doesn't have quality of life, then it's best for her in the end. You loved her and gave her a good life, and in reality, that's all she ever wanted.

The vet tech ladies were awesome, but the process went bad. The vet gave a single shot, no sedative before so when he was doing this injection, she must have jerked because the needle fell out. As he tried to find the vein, all the poking around made her hurt and she was scared, so we had to hold her down. The more we held her poor old body down, the more she struggled and soon she was howling in pain. There were 5 of us holding her down and finally he injected, but it must not have hit the vein.
She relaxed some, but kept breathing... and breathing... and breathing. finally he went to get a second dose, found a new vein on another leg and she FINALLY left.
it broke my heart that her last moments were screaming and struggling instead of being comforted by me.
They apologized a lot and said this almost never happens.

This reminds me of the post in this forum of the humane society manager who gave a detailed description of what happens to the dogs we drop off at the humane society that do not get adopted... the struggle that goes on to put them down. Just like my scenario. Only they don't even have people they know in the room with them.

At least I gave her a good day before hand.
At least it was only $65. I hear that is very cheap.
RIP Tipper

Even the best vets would have cases like these....no one is perfect in getting it right every time. However the decision was the best you did for your dog. At least she is not in pain anymore. Just cherish the memories you have for her.

That sucks, I'm sooooo sorry. It may have been that they didn't want to give sedative first because of loss of blood pressure making it harder to find a vein, but still...... I have been through the process many times, with my own animals and others (I was a tech for 20+ years) and it's never easy. Condolences on your loss.

Back
Top Bottom