Dog tore his dewclaw it’s bleeding

Eblast

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
Sandown nh
I am to young to bring him to the vet and nobody else will what do I do
image.jpg

Is it broken in the nail or in the actual toe?

If it's the nail: I have a dog that routinely cracks his dewclaw nail and after watching the vet treat it, I just do it at home now. Muzzle the dog, have someone help hold him, then get your dog nail trimmer and cut it very quickly below the crack. It WILL hurt a lot but afterwards he'll feel a lot better. Use styptic or cornstarch to clot the bleeding (may take around 5 min), and then I usually vetwrap it and pull a clean sock over it to keep him from licking it for about a day.

If it's the toe you'd need to go to the vet.

How is your dog today?
I agree. If the nail is hanging by a “thread” you should somehow cut it off. I had a greyhound who did that once, and you could tell it was very painful.
If you can’t get him to a vet, cut it off quickly and then put some ointment on it and bandage it up. Change bandage regularly so it doesn’t stick. The dewclaw should grow back.

Okay, if he's not letting you touch it, there's nothing you can do without potentially getting bit. You'll have to leave it be and either convince the adults to help clean it up or take him to the vet.

Oh! Do you have peanut butter? Take a narrow jar, and place a large spot full at the bottom. Dogs go nuts for that stuff, and it may be a good distraction while trying to help him. Especially at the bottom of the jar, that will take him longer to eat it.
Be careful with peanut butter! It used to be a safe dog treat, but now some companies are using a sweetener instead of sugar in it that is very toxic to dogs. This started happening just recently. If it's only peanuts and oil, you're safe.

Be careful with peanut butter! It used to be a safe dog treat, but now some companies are using a sweetener instead of sugar in it that is very toxic to dogs. This started happening just recently. If it's only peanuts and oil, you're safe.
Thank you! We always buy Organic/All natural peanut butter without added sugar, so this didn't even cross my mind.

Back
Top Bottom