Dog walker gone wild.

PDurkin

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 27, 2010
Country boy at heart
I live in suburbia where I have about 2 acres of land and raise ducks, geese, and chickens. Today when I was in the living room I heard my SQ silkie rooster freaking out so I immediately bolted outdoors with a bat. I found a huge labrador retriever who had run off the street and causing mayhem in my flock of ducks. The ducks were free ranging and some were lucky enough to escape into the wooded area. My silkie rooster earned his keep and took on this lab. This was not just any lab, this was a huge lab easily 100+ lbs. The owner could not control her animal and he ripped the tail feathers of my rooster right out and was carrying him around in his mouth. I ran up the dog, grabbed it by the collar and dragged it onto the ground right in front of the owner. The owner says if I contact the police she will press charges against me for animal cruelty for attacking her dog?

1) Her dog killed 2 of my ducks, and 3 goslings while attacking my rooster as well.

2) Her dog was on MY property and shes lucky I did not shoot it.

3) In our town we have a law that states all dogs must be on a leash...well her dog was off his leash.

4) I did not injure her dog at all, I simply forced him onto the ground to save the rest of my flock.

Do I have the right to call the police and demand compensation for my losses?

Help please...any suggestions on what to do?

I don't know what the law is where you live, but morally and ethically - you were completely right. I think she is bluffing - hoping it'll keep her out of legal trouble. Really - you weren't cruel to her dog! I'd report her - she deserves it after she threatened you with animal cruelty charges for protecting your flock. She should've been apologizing and offering to replace the killed birds instead of threatening you.

File a report for damages. Call animal control and report the dog was loose.

Check your laws, if you have the right to defend your livestock where you live by force and can fire a gun in your area, then if the neighbor tries to say anything kindly inform her that the next time she looses control of the dog and it tries or succeeds in killing a bird, you will succeed in terminating it. If you can take lethal measures, inform your animal control and police when you file reports, that this was the first and last time you will allow it to happen. Next time the dog attacks your birds and tresspasses on your property you will take your liberties and right to protect livestock and put it down. Usually they will pass it on to the dog owner.

You have every right in the world - she was in the wrong. Like you said, shes lucky you didn't shoot the dog, where in many areas you have every right to do so.

It will definitely come down to what the law is in your area. Where I live, I have the right to use deadly force against any animal that is attacking animals on my property. In other words, my neighbor's dog comes onto my property and attacks my chickens and I have the right to kill that dog. So check into what the laws are for your town/city.

She's bluffing and is trying to bully you. Call the police. You used the necessary force to stop the issue and only that. This is known as the force continuum. You could have used more force and been perfectly within your rights.

the dog is just doing something instinctual. the owner or dog walker is at fault. please don't hurt the dog. None of the animals should be injured because of an irresponsible woman who can't control her dog. Shame on her. I think she's bluffing. You didn't harm her dog, you just controlled the behavior like she should have been doing.

Last edited:
She doesnt have a leg to stand on.... the dog was on your property ATTACKING your animals.
And just to be a WITCH. I WOULD have called the cops after she said that!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom