Dogs eating chicken poo

Id be more worried about the wormer honestly, Ive walked around barefoot and I eat raw veg all the time and Ive never needed a worming so whats up with that? But I did work for a ranch that had a few hundred sheep and goats and while I was working there they started giving them liquid wormer, well the animals started getting diaria real bad so there answer was to give them more wormer which I objected to and of course they didnt listen cause they thought they knew better. Consequently animals started dieing (from dehydration I would guess) by the dozen, at that time I quit, the fact that they refused to listen to me was very irritating and with all the dead animals was kinda a nightmare around there anyway. People will say wormer is perfectly safe but think about this, there are many beneficial organisms within our bodys many of which like bacteria we just couldnt live without and anything thats gonna kill a worm in ya is probly gonna kill that little thing in you that digests your veg for ya...which you need to stay alive. Anyways I dont think a bit of poop is gonna hurt anything.

My dog eats the poop as well. My birds are always eating DE in their food, coop floor and in bedding and I have never seen any worm signs. Once my son was born I was concerned so I took poo samples in for testing-everyone was clear so the DE works. I may start to do the pumpkin seed mash thing soon since we we will be adding 4 pullets to the flock. The girls are free rangers by day and cooped at night. I think the grass and stuff also helps keep the system clean. The worst part about my cattle dog eating poo is her breathe afterwards. Yuck!

Thanks for all of the posts. I know that animals (including us) have lots of things in them that are nasty, but are managed until we have a compromised system. I keep all my animals very healty (to the extent that I can). My dog likes to eat lots of things that I don't know about and I think that he got something he shouldn't have that weakened his immune system causing this issue. My other dog had a Giardia issue that was brought about by a toe injury she received while on a hike. The wormer Safeguard (fenben...don't ask me to spell this) gets the organism under control so the body can then take over when things heal up. I am hoping this is just a little episode he is having. Thank you again for all of the advice.

Will

My dogs love chicken poo! It's like a buffet when I let them out into the pasture, which I try not to do very often. My schnauzer also loves grasshoppers as much as the chickens do. Dogs will eat just about anything, I think. Needless to say, they don't "kiss" me on the face. yuk!

From reading this about dogs eating chickens excrement, I figure we have a lot of dog owners that don't have control of their dogs, don't care or either just don't know any better. Strange folks.

Back
Top Bottom