Doing a Necropsy STARTING NOW (Smudge, Cornish X) Edit: Got histopathology results

Pics
One final question, we have 3 vacation rentals on our property. One is the largest house (sleeps 8) and is fairly close to the chicken coop. The other two are on the far end of the property, so I'm not to worried about them. Should I be concerned at all that the vacation renters might have flocks at home, and unknowingly spread it to their flock? Should I have my mom put a paragraph on her website specifically for chicken owners? Or should I not worry about it? Its insight of the chicken coop, thoughts?

Might be a good idea.
Do the guests usually interact with the chickens?
I would think the birds should be off limits to guests.
They aren't able to interact with the birds, go in the pen etc, but they are able to watch them from outside the coop. I would never be comfortable having anyone in the run with them that I didn't know. Especially small children.

They aren't able to interact with the birds, go in the pen etc, but they are able to watch them from outside the coop. I would never be comfortable having anyone in the run with them that I didn't know. Especially small children.
Then it sounds like you are covered.
No need to announce any conditions of the birds.

Biosecutiry is a very deep rabbit hole limited only by your imagination. When carried to the extreme it can be all-consuming. What if an infected dove flys over and deficates? Be reasonable and don't let it take all the fun out of chicken keeping.

Vikon comes as a powder.

This is very useful discussion. Smudge gave his life for a good cause. There should be a plaque or something.

Biosecutiry is a very deep rabbit hole limited only by your imagination. When carried to the extreme it can be all-consuming. What if an infected dove flys over and deficates? Be reasonable and don't let it take all the fun out of chicken keeping.

Vikon comes as a powder.

This is very useful discussion. Smudge gave his life for a good cause. There should be a plaque or something.
I have to agree with that. Wild birds carry disease all the time, at this point, I'm mostly concerned about not spreading AVL to other chicken keepers.

I'm so glad I was able to learn so much from this, and this thread is out there for others to reference from as well. It really is so great how much everyone gets to learn.
Dear Smudge does deserve a plaque, who knew a Cornish X, supposed to be culled at 12 weeks would teach me so much. 🥰

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom