Double Air Sac? - Coturnix Quail

abbya12

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2019
Hi everyone! I’m on day 9 of my quail egg incubation journey, and i’ve started to notice that a few of my eggs have this double air sac thing going on. I’ll attach a picture. The egg in the picture originally had a normal air sac, but it has since grown into this. Is this a bad thing? Does it mean they’re dying?? Or is it normal? Please help!!

Attachments

• DCB1213F-F3CD-45D9-A07E-78A0BF739D27.jpeg
    DCB1213F-F3CD-45D9-A07E-78A0BF739D27.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to BYC! :celebrate

That is a saddled air cell. Saddled air cells are extremely common especially in shipped eggs since USPS tends to play football with the packages. :rolleyes: It definitely doesn’t mean that it’s dying, but the hatch rate is put at risk. Best thing would be to set the ones with saddled air cells fat-end-up in your incubator. ;)

Welcome to BYC! :celebrate

That is a saddled air cell. Saddled air cells are extremely common especially in shipped eggs since USPS tends to play football with the packages. :rolleyes: It definitely doesn’t mean that it’s dying, but the hatch rate is put at risk. Best thing would be to set the ones with saddled air cells fat-end-up in your incubator. ;)
Thank you so much!! I will definitely do that :)

I'm pretty new to this, but I've had a few quail eggs like that and they all ended up being malpositioned. They either pipped at the wrong end and needed help hatching or didn't pip at all and died in the shell. They also pip really early, like on day 15. According to most sources, lockdown is on day 15, but I've consistently had internal and external pips on day 15, so I'm going to try doing lockdown earlier from now on. I haven't actually tried it, so take it for what it's worth, but I think earlier lockdowns will help.

I'm pretty new to this, but I've had a few quail eggs like that and they all ended up being malpositioned. They either pipped at the wrong end and needed help hatching or didn't pip at all and died in the shell. They also pip really early, like on day 15. According to most sources, lockdown is on day 15, but I've consistently had internal and external pips on day 15, so I'm go ing to try doing lockdown earlier from now on. I haven't actually tried it, so take it for what it's worth, but I think earlier lockdowns will help.
How much earlier are you thinking? I really don’t want my babies to die :( I’m so attached already!!

Back
Top Bottom