Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
Hello everyone. I had a quick question regarding double yolk eggs. Every time I get an egg from one of my hens they come out with two yolks. Is this okay for her or is it going to hurt her? I was just wondering if there was something I was doing or feeding them that causes this? I do feed my hens a few of their own eggs every week scrambled is that okay to do or is that to often?

I appreciate any information you can give me!

Hello everyone. I had a quick question regarding double yolk eggs. Every time I get an egg from one of my hens they come out with two yolks. Is this okay for her or is it going to hurt her? I was just wondering if there was something I was doing or feeding them that causes this? I do feed my hens a few of their own eggs every week scrambled is that okay to do or is that to often?

Is she a young pullet just going into lay?

A mature hen either starting or ending her molt?

Chickens who are not in the process of laying steadily often have wonky eggs for a while, but some hens do consistently lay odd eggs throughout their career.

She'll probably be fine. :)

What breed is she?
How old is she, in months?
How long has she been laying?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Some scrambled egg once a week is fine.

Some hens do, especially the first year of laying. Does not hurt a thing. My sons always felt like it was a sign of a lucky day, to get a double yolkier.

It has nothing to do with the diet. It can occur any time, but most likely in the first year of life. Occasionally after that. I would not worry about it at all, and I don't think there is anything that you can do for it.

I think that BO are a bit more disposed to this, but that just may be because my most consistent double yolkier was a BO.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom