Double Yolker?

JEsqueda

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
Duchess, one of my RIRs, laid her 5th sequential double yolker monster egg today. She's my second hen to go into lay, the first of which has never produced a double yolker. Is this fairly common behavior? She is acting completely normal. I'm just checking on the potential long term effects of laying enormous eggs!

I believe this happens more often with girls just starting to lay (although I recently had one from a RSL that's been laying a year now). It happens when a couple of yolks mature at the same time.

As long as your girl eats, drinks and poops ok, I'd say she's all right.

I believe this happens more often with girls just starting to lay (although I recently had one from a RSL that's been laying a year now). It happens when a couple of yolks mature at the same time.

As long as your girl eats, drinks and poops ok, I'd say she's all right.
Hi there,

Yep! Eating, drinking, pooping just fine! She is a new layer. She started laying right around 2 weeks ago, with normal eggs for the first week, then a short span of no eggs, no these monsters. I am considering myself lucky to get a two-for-one deal for as long as it lasts, as long as it doesn't hurt her. Those suckers look painful! =)

You're right, they do make you go "ouch"!

Here's our last 2 yolker...it weighed in at 3.6 oz

Can you guess which egg I'm talking about? lol

Back
Top Bottom