Haileejackson

Hatching
Aug 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

Ive had this chicken for about a month, shes around 3 years old and an isa brown. When I first got her I noticed she was shaking her head a lot. As time has passed things have gotten worse. Shes been drooling excess saliva for around a week now, usually clear/foamy. Today it was more thick/mucus like. She has been gasping for breath and shaking her head, with some trouble swallowing. Otherwise she has no other symptoms. Eyes and nose are fine. Not lethargic, no loss of appetite. She doesn't appear to have any sores/plaque in her mouth so I dont think its canker. I cant seem to find out whats wrong so Im hoping someone can help! The next step will be a vet.

My chickens often shake their heads... I had a rooster this year with discharge coming from his mouth, we never found out for sure what it was but we thought it might be sour crop. He wasn't eating or drinking though. We had to hand feed him every day, opening his beak. It's good your hen is eating. My rooster did actually survive, and he's now strutting around our yard happily. What we did is feed him yogurt, with oats, and a bit of garlic, and put Apple cider vinegar into his water.

Is her crop soft at all? It should be empty in the morning before she gets fed, but once she's had some feed it shouldn't be soft.

Her crop feels normal, but I'm not an expert so I'm not entirely sure. I have another chicken who now has a runny nose so I'm wondering if they're related.

Hi everyone,

Ive had this chicken for about a month, shes around 3 years old and an isa brown. When I first got her I noticed she was shaking her head a lot. As time has passed things have gotten worse. Shes been drooling excess saliva for around a week now, usually clear/foamy. Today it was more thick/mucus like. She has been gasping for breath and shaking her head, with some trouble swallowing. Otherwise she has no other symptoms. Eyes and nose are fine. Not lethargic, no loss of appetite. She doesn't appear to have any sores/plaque in her mouth so I dont think its canker. I cant seem to find out whats wrong so Im hoping someone can help! The next step will be a vet.

Her crop feels normal, but I'm not an expert so I'm not entirely sure. I have another chicken who now has a runny nose so I'm wondering if they're related.
If you have vet care, that is always best.
Do you have any photos of the hen that is sick?

Back
Top Bottom