Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Live near London, Ontario. I enjoy the Muscovies. Very low maintenance, great foragers, mine are frequently broody. Super tame birds, very quiet, never had an issue. They're messy, like most ducks, but I find they need less water than others.
Never clip their wings either. They fly fairly well but are entirely free range & always stick around the barn. They know that's home.

My two piebald white & black/lavender females & black magpie drake

My one of my blue/black ducks with neck bronzing (just got off a nest, so she looks a little rough)

I had to swing by to oooh and ahhhh over these beautiful waterfowl! Though my place is better for smaller breeds, since joining BYC I have come to consider Muscovies excellent domestic ducks. Just excellent. Congratulations to all of you!

love.gif

Live near London, Ontario. I enjoy the Muscovies. Very low maintenance, great foragers, mine are frequently broody. Super tame birds, very quiet, never had an issue. They're messy, like most ducks, but I find they need less water than others.
Never clip their wings either. They fly fairly well but are entirely free range & always stick around the barn. They know that's home.

My two piebald white & black/lavender females & black magpie drake

My one of my blue/black ducks with neck bronzing (just got off a nest, so she looks a little rough)
They are gorgeous @BckCntryBurrows

Hi. I live in the upper peninsula of Mi and I am looking for a muscovy breeder. Anyone know of any? Thanks in advance!

I have a question about incubating Muscovy eggs - I have eggs in my incubator and are due the second week in January - my girls are laying like crazy so I took 36 out of one box today - can I add them in with these eggs already started or should I just wait until they are hatched and start a new batch separate - and how long are the eggs ok to leave out or should I refrigerate until ready to put in incubator

If you are not certain of when they were laid, I would not put them in with those incubating already. Unless, you have the time and experience to deal with a staggered hatch. Muscovy eggs take 35 days to hatch. So, if you picked one up that was laid yesterday or today, it would not be ready to hatch until the end of Jan.

Eggs can be held for a week before incubation without a problem. Up to 10 days is my max. The ideal holding temperature is about 60 degrees. A refrigerator is too cold. Development of the embryo only starts when the egg is rewarmed to the correct temperature.

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Are there any breeders in Southern Wisconsin? I would love to have some of these guys for control of the pests around us like the ticks that they are reputed to love.

Back
Top Bottom