Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sumi, Dec 26, 2015.

1. TrishNZ

TrishNZ New Egg

Jan 22, 2014
    We have two white muscovy which we keep forfun on our small piece of land with three sheep and 8 chickens. We love them all as they are all characters and give us hours of fun watching them. Daisy Duck is a wonderful mother and Donald (her mate) is very good to any ducklings they have. At the moment Daisy is looking after her 15 ducklings which follow us as they know we are their food source. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  2. grin0076

grin0076 New Egg

May 23, 2015
    We've had ours about a year. [​IMG] We started out with 5. We have about 35-40 now. We enjoy them as pets and for their eggs, but also as food. [​IMG]. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  3. k626

k626 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Davie, FL
    Down here in South Florida they're EVERYWHERE. I mean all over. I try to explain their benefits to people usually to no avail. Most of the population sees them as a nuisance and a pest. I love them. Wish I could get some, but have to wait a while. Love the pictures though.

4. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    these are my pets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I used to keep regular ducks, than I came across muscovy 20 years ago and that's all I've ever kept, I like how they forage, even at night, I like how they roost like chickens, I like how quiet they are, no laughing at me all day like regular ducks. I like how they don't need water as much, and how they can fly so my dogs don't get them.

I currently have seven females, I lost my last drake last winter, he was around 10 years old, my poor hens have been without a male all year, they laid eggs, but didn't put up as big of a fuss when I removed the eggs and there was no nest hiding, I think they know they need a drake for that.

I'll post some pictures when I get them uploaded.

6. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    mine don't roost. they volunteerly moved to the chickens coop but have a great respect for the chickens and don't mess with their roosts, lol. only 2-3 still sleep in the duck's coop!

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Mine like to goose the chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. jofanx

jofanx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2015
    Love these! Have three males and a female. Compared to to the mallard breeds I kept previously, these ducks are heaven sent. Quiet (BIGGEST PLUS!), use much less feed (if given the opportunity to forage, they won't even touch the layer pellets I provide), go back in their coop by themselves at night, lay big eggs, easy to herd around, don't smell as much as chickens do.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    Beautiful pics

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    Your pets are gorgeous. Mine are pets too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by