Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

We have two white muscovy which we keep forfun on our small piece of land with three sheep and 8 chickens. We love them all as they are all characters and give us hours of fun watching them. Daisy Duck is a wonderful mother and Donald (her mate) is very good to any ducklings they have. At the moment Daisy is looking after her 15 ducklings which follow us as they know we are their food source.

Last edited:
Down here in South Florida they're EVERYWHERE. I mean all over. I try to explain their benefits to people usually to no avail. Most of the population sees them as a nuisance and a pest. I love them. Wish I could get some, but have to wait a while. Love the pictures though.

I used to keep regular ducks, than I came across muscovy 20 years ago and that's all I've ever kept, I like how they forage, even at night, I like how they roost like chickens, I like how quiet they are, no laughing at me all day like regular ducks. I like how they don't need water as much, and how they can fly so my dogs don't get them.

I currently have seven females, I lost my last drake last winter, he was around 10 years old, my poor hens have been without a male all year, they laid eggs, but didn't put up as big of a fuss when I removed the eggs and there was no nest hiding, I think they know they need a drake for that.

I'll post some pictures when I get them uploaded.

I used to keep regular ducks, than I came across muscovy 20 years ago and that's all I've ever kept, I like how they forage, even at night, I like how they roost like chickens, I like how quiet they are, no laughing at me all day like regular ducks. I like how they don't need water as much, and how they can fly so my dogs don't get them.

I currently have seven females, I lost my last drake last winter, he was around 10 years old, my poor hens have been without a male all year, they laid eggs, but didn't put up as big of a fuss when I removed the eggs and there was no nest hiding, I think they know they need a drake for that.

I'll post some pictures when I get them uploaded.

mine don't roost. they volunteerly moved to the chickens coop but have a great respect for the chickens and don't mess with their roosts, lol. only 2-3 still sleep in the duck's coop!

Love these! Have three males and a female. Compared to to the mallard breeds I kept previously, these ducks are heaven sent. Quiet (BIGGEST PLUS!), use much less feed (if given the opportunity to forage, they won't even touch the layer pellets I provide), go back in their coop by themselves at night, lay big eggs, easy to herd around, don't smell as much as chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom