Duck can't walk

mdesai

Hatching
6 Years
May 21, 2013
Hi all! I am new to the board and I have been reading the forums looking for answers.....I have 4 ducks and 7 chickens. We have 2 Pekin and 2 Indian Runners...one of my Pekin started out with a respiratory thing...he sounded really raspy when breathing so we researched what to do and during the time we were treating her she stopped using one of her feet and hobbled everywhere. It seems as if the respiratory has cleared up, but now she just can't walk and I have to carry her in and out everyday. I put her in the duck pool everyday in hopes that she will exercise her limb and hopefully regain strength in it. She can only swim for about 15 minutes and then she starts sinking, her feathers won't repel any water and she just gets drenched and sinks down. She is very friendly and will allow me to handle her quite easily but she is still very fiesty so I will do anything to help her out. I cannot find a vet that treats ducks out my way, so I am really hoping that I can get some help on here! Thanks so much!
Michelle & Squeakers

Hi all! I am new to the board and I have been reading the forums looking for answers.....I have 4 ducks and 7 chickens. We have 2 Pekin and 2 Indian Runners...one of my Pekin started out with a respiratory thing...he sounded really raspy when breathing so we researched what to do and during the time we were treating her she stopped using one of her feet and hobbled everywhere. It seems as if the respiratory has cleared up, but now she just can't walk and I have to carry her in and out everyday. I put her in the duck pool everyday in hopes that she will exercise her limb and hopefully regain strength in it. She can only swim for about 15 minutes and then she starts sinking, her feathers won't repel any water and she just gets drenched and sinks down. She is very friendly and will allow me to handle her quite easily but she is still very fiesty so I will do anything to help her out. I cannot find a vet that treats ducks out my way, so I am really hoping that I can get some help on here! Thanks so much!
Michelle & Squeakers
This is very common in Pekins, they grow so fast seems faster than other breeds of domestics especially since before they became so popular as pets they were raised for food. You should pick up some Brewers yeast or Niacin tablet or capsules. if you decide to go with niacin make sure it isn't flush free it needs to be plain niacin 100-150mgs. crush or open and mix in 1 gallon of water start giving this as sole water every day until you see improvement and even after till completely able to walk and is getting around really well. Water therapy is great keep it up, wet feather is most likely because she isn't preening hopefully getting her up and going will give her incentive to start taking care of herself again. or when she molts her new feathers will look much better. Good thing to never leave her alone when in the water she could drown easily. Also check her oil gland to see if it maybe inflamed if so warm compress will help to get it going again. Please keep us updated on her and
welcome-byc.gif
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info! I am going out tonight to get some so I can get it in her drinking water right away :) I have been sitting with her when she swims and I also hand feed her every morning and night, she also has her own drinking glass that she sits and drinks out of...so I know that she is getting something in her every day. Hopefully this will work! I will let you know :)

Thanks so much for the info! I am going out tonight to get some so I can get it in her drinking water right away :) I have been sitting with her when she swims and I also hand feed her every morning and night, she also has her own drinking glass that she sits and drinks out of...so I know that she is getting something in her every day. Hopefully this will work! I will let you know :)
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom