Duck/Chicken Feed for People With Celiac and NCGS?

Hi neighbor! You should give Union Mills a try. They're in Mulino so it might be a bit of a drive but it sounds like it could be worth it.

I really should do a cost breakdown of making our own mix so I can say definitively whether or not it's more expensive than buying a feed...based on quick math in my head, I think it is, sadly. But I'd rather be able to eat eggs than not. Corn is interesting—it's fine in my particular situation, but the relative I mentioned earlier and a few friends can't tolerate it, which is why we don't feed that to the ducks either.
I kind of find it interesting that you have such specificities in your gluten sensitivities and how you have to even know which particular grains you must eliminate in your birds feed in order to make your eggs safe enough for you to eat for yourself. I find it really even more odd about the corn issue and that you can tolerate the corn. Many folks have to totally eliminate the corn to be safe in regard to their own diets not from what something they are eating is partaking in as part of its diets. I am a Celiac as well. I am (TMI) but diarrhea predominant and this will play a role in a minute. I suffered for over thirty plus years without a diagnosis and also have many autoimmune conditions. I believe having CD makes you a precursor to developing more. I have also like most people who have CD and need to follow a GFree diet done a great deal of research and Oats and corn are the two grains that doctors used to recommend you stay away from regardless in addition to the Wheat, Barley, Rye, and, Malts. So when you said that corn didn’t bother you it just jumped out at me as seeming to go against the norm which is against the grain- sorry. Couldn’t resist! Lol! I’m not usually a complete goofball! I had no nutrient absorption from 2009 backwards 25 years according to my spine xrays. I went for about that long having diarrhea everyday of my life trying to work at my job and it was not fun. The last three years of my employment before all my autoimmune arthritis and degenerative disc disease all related I got to go with out being a poop machine.

Does anyone know of farms/companies on the West Coast that sell duck feed without wheat, rye, or barley, or soy? I know of New Country Organics and Reedy Fork Organic Farm, but both of those eastern suppliers charge an arm and a leg for shipping (I'm in Oregon). We put a mix together ourselves but are losing access to one supplier of one ingredient and would love to make life a little easier by buying something already finished.
I’m in NorCal along the western OR/CA line and pay to have the New Country Organics shipped from TX. I’m a Celiac, too. I get it from Amazon Smile so it supports my favorite chicken rescue in Santa Cruz, CA.

Back
Top Bottom