Duck Egg Shells thin and bumpy.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Urban Waddler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    So, My 1.5 year old Pekin has always laid great, hard-shelled eggs with no blemishes. Lately, her shells have been rough, thin, and full of calcium deposits or rough build up bumps. I always thought those bumps meant too much calcium. But then, thin shells meant not enough. She gets one to two servings of mazuri breeder feed in her pond a day, and then always has all flock feed with oyster shell on the side available. Today, she laid two eggs, one so thin, it cracked from her napping on her nest. Both full of hard spots. That’s unusual for her to lay two. But I am wondering if she is having a hard time absorbing the calcium? Any tips would be sooooo appreciated. I worry so much bout my little girl.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Where are you located? If in the northern hemisphere she could be getting ready to quit laying for the season. Sometimes those last few eggs are a bit wonky.

3. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    Thanks for your response! We are in Minnesota. The problem is the thin, rough, bumpy shells have been happening for about a month now. So, it doesn’t feel like just a few eggs.

City farm and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  4. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    That is how my runners did before they took a little break from laying. Now they are rearing back up

5. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    Here’s a pic from a few days ago.

Attached Files:

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    This time of year birds are running out of calcium reserves. Even with oyster shells they still get slowly depleted as they pull calcium out of their bones. Shells get thin. The bumps can be a glitch or from too much calcium. Since you are getting thin shells I would guess a glitch. Your hen needs a break.

7. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    Is there anything I can do to encourage a break in laying other than keeping lights off at night?

8. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    I assume your ducks have access to a decent calcium source, like oyster shells?
    If yes, they may need a bit more, so i would buy some calcium-glucconate or calcium-citrate, mix a bit of the white powder with some treats (meal-worms, peas) and feed those to your ducks. They may need just more calcium than they have in their diet. Molting also needs a lot of calcium.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It will happen when it happens. I know forcing a molt has to do with reducing feed and light, but I'm sure you don't want to do either.

Do you also offer eggshells back? My muscovy ducks prefer eggshells to oyster. I provide both daily.

10. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    They have access to oyster shell, and I see her eating it sometimes, and her breeder feed is loaded with it. But I might try this. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: