Duck Egg Shells thin and bumpy.

Urban Waddler

Songster
May 17, 2018
Minnesota
So, My 1.5 year old Pekin has always laid great, hard-shelled eggs with no blemishes. Lately, her shells have been rough, thin, and full of calcium deposits or rough build up bumps. I always thought those bumps meant too much calcium. But then, thin shells meant not enough. She gets one to two servings of mazuri breeder feed in her pond a day, and then always has all flock feed with oyster shell on the side available. Today, she laid two eggs, one so thin, it cracked from her napping on her nest. Both full of hard spots. That’s unusual for her to lay two. But I am wondering if she is having a hard time absorbing the calcium? Any tips would be sooooo appreciated. I worry so much bout my little girl.

Where are you located? If in the northern hemisphere she could be getting ready to quit laying for the season. Sometimes those last few eggs are a bit wonky.
Thanks for your response! We are in Minnesota. The problem is the thin, rough, bumpy shells have been happening for about a month now. So, it doesn’t feel like just a few eggs.

Here’s a pic from a few days ago.

Attachments

• 99A479E2-E414-420D-9173-038E8B78B4AE.jpeg
    99A479E2-E414-420D-9173-038E8B78B4AE.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 6
  • C84B7658-FD83-4547-8208-A828DA04F5CE.jpeg
    C84B7658-FD83-4547-8208-A828DA04F5CE.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 30DA4F17-7EAC-4B6B-8AFA-63402086B579.jpeg
    30DA4F17-7EAC-4B6B-8AFA-63402086B579.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 6
This time of year birds are running out of calcium reserves. Even with oyster shells they still get slowly depleted as they pull calcium out of their bones. Shells get thin. The bumps can be a glitch or from too much calcium. Since you are getting thin shells I would guess a glitch. Your hen needs a break.

This time of year birds are running out of calcium reserves. Even with oyster shells they still get slowly depleted as they pull calcium out of their bones. Shells get thin. The bumps can be a glitch or from too much calcium. Since you are getting thin shells I would guess a glitch. Your hen needs a break.
Is there anything I can do to encourage a break in laying other than keeping lights off at night?

I assume your ducks have access to a decent calcium source, like oyster shells?
If yes, they may need a bit more, so i would buy some calcium-glucconate or calcium-citrate, mix a bit of the white powder with some treats (meal-worms, peas) and feed those to your ducks. They may need just more calcium than they have in their diet. Molting also needs a lot of calcium.

Is there anything I can do to encourage a break in laying other than keeping lights off at night?
It will happen when it happens. I know forcing a molt has to do with reducing feed and light, but I'm sure you don't want to do either.

Do you also offer eggshells back? My muscovy ducks prefer eggshells to oyster. I provide both daily.

I assume your ducks have access to a decent calcium source, like oyster shells?
If yes, they may need a bit more, so i would buy some calcium-glucconate or calcium-citrate, mix a bit of the white powder with some treats (meal-worms, peas) and feed those to your ducks. They may need just more calcium than they have in their diet. Molting also needs a lot of calcium.
They have access to oyster shell, and I see her eating it sometimes, and her breeder feed is loaded with it. But I might try this. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom