Duck Egg Shells thin and bumpy.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Urban Waddler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    I haven’t tried that, thanks :)

WannaBeHillBilly and quackiemama like this.
  2. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Mine seem to enjoy the whole egg sometimes. If I have one that is cracked in the house or something I just throw to the ground and they eat that stuff up.

3. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Do you give peas as treats, especially in the morning?

4. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    I give them peas when I have them on hand, but more as a treat. Are there health benefits I don’t know about other than just being green?

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  5. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Enabler

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Peas are loaded with B vitamins: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea#Nutritional_value

6. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I was having similar issues and nothing seemed to help. I found a chicken egg article about thin eggshells and it said an imbalance of phosphorus to Calcium prevents the shell from being put on properly. I had been giving mine peas every morning. Peas are high in Phosphorus. I stopped the peas and things have been better.

7. Urban Waddler

Urban Waddler Songster

May 17, 2018
    Minnesota
    Strange...so maybe peas are a no?

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I am noticing my Runners egg shell are thin and some even are wonky in shape. I think it's time of year and like was mentioned they lay so many through their laying years they get depleted in calcium and it shows up in what we are seeing. Mine don't like peas so that isn't even an issue here. Usually after a good molt and resting their bodies egg shell begin to look a lot better. I am only noticing it with my Runner eggs not my Buffs or Muscovy. Some of my chicken eggs have had some calcium build up on them too.

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello...I don't feed my Ducks or chickens feed that has higher calcium. I feed a Grower finisher feed for Chickens, Ducks, Turkeys and Geese. I only provide oyster shell once a week or every couple of weeks. I use a small bowl and they if they use it up in two days I still don't add more till the following week. Too much calcium is just as bad as not enough.

10. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    I have gotten some that look like before. I can't remember if they took a break afterword but I don't remember my ducks laying consistently(so it has been a long time). I bet that is what your duck is doing...getting ready of r a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: