Pics
Ducklings shouldn’t have medicated feed
Go with non medicated
Check her vent for pasty butt
It can happen more then once to certain ducks
Add nutritional yeast the feed 1 tbs to 1 cup feed
Try Nutridrench or poultry cell in the water
My fingers are crossed for your baby
It is non-medicated feed. I’m giving nutridrench in the water and the nutritional yeast added in the food.

Some good news: when I gave Speck some wet food plus hard boiled egg, Speck suddenly started eating a lot!! I’ve never seen Speck so eager to eat.

It is non-medicated feed. I’m giving nutridrench in the water and the nutritional yeast added in the food.

Some good news: when I gave Speck some wet food plus hard boiled egg, Speck suddenly started eating a lot!! I’ve never seen Speck so eager to eat.
That’s great. Hopefully speck continues to eat abc get stronger

I took 18 of the ducklings on a field trip to enjoy the sun today. They had a blast! I didn’t take out the Indian Runners because I’m trying not to mix them up with the other ducklings, but I’ll get a separate play area set up for them. I also didn’t take out Speck and the other tiny ones because I think they aren’t quite ready. Don’t worry, I didn’t leave them unsupervised for a moment
84B73868-184E-4DA8-AAF7-39971A0D5C99.jpeg
6D2A03E4-D781-4065-A9A9-29B8BB93659C.jpeg
D9822C34-FC1A-4EDF-8E5F-A5167ED2A389.jpeg

This is Goldie. Goldie had trouble walking the first day and a half, and I gave Vitamin b liquid. But then I thought she was ok.. just yesterday I noticed her toes are turned in, knees turned out a bit. I restarted the vitamin b and won’t stop for awhile this time. Of course they’ve all had nutritional yeast from the start. Does this look like vitamin B deficiency? Or could it be something worse like slipped tendon or rickets? I also let Goldie have a warm bath today. Goldie hatched first and spent the most time slipping around in the incubator
CDCC22E1-813C-4B67-9132-CB1820390417.jpeg
B29F263B-AE97-4625-9E6E-FAA40EF3E562.jpeg

I’d say niacin so stick with the BComplex some just need it more than others. Is she able to straighten both leg completely straight?
Are you keeping all the precious little ones?

I’d say niacin so stick with the BComplex some just need it more than others. Is she able to straighten both leg completely straight?
Are you keeping all the precious little ones?
She can stretch her legs out straight when she’s napping. I’ll keep giving her the vitamin B. The good thing is she’ll eat out of my hand so it’s easy to give her the vitamins.
Btw, I have no idea which ones are boys or girls. I just use she/he interchangeably 😂

I’m not keeping them all, sadly. I’m planning on keeping 13. That will include Speck, Div, and Goldie because I don’t want to sell ducklings that might have issues and of course I’ve spent so much time with them I’m quite attached. I’m also keeping Ruu because she’s insanely cute and friendly, and all the “Indian runners” from the eggs I bought. These are the supposed Indian Runners, although I’m wonder if they are Khaki Campbells😂 whatever they are, they are big and super chill. Of course if I can’t find good homes, I’ll keep them all. I have 50 acres, so there’s lots of space.

A3BAFF15-B323-4AC4-AC5A-B65CD47C02FF.jpeg

50 acres in Hawaii wow that has to be awesome. Those ducklings are so precious.
Good to heart she can straighten both legs out .Hopefully she just needs a bit more help with the liquid b and she'll be good to go. They need to at least have the Nutritional yeast until 12 weeks the Liquid B until at least a week after they have gotten over the Niacin deficiency. I still give Nutritional yeast to my flock every other day. It's just so good for them all.

Unfortunately Speck seems worse this evening 😢 She had been eating a ton and was very active. Today I was at work most of the day. Of course I left Speck with lots of food and my sister checked them a few times, but I wasn’t around to encourage Speck to eat and hand feed. This afternoon when I got home, Speck ate a moderate amount from my hand, but then stopped and hasn’t eaten anything from my hand since. I’m hoping maybe Speck ate a lot from the dish so maybe not hungry.. But Speck is also not as active. I moved them to a bigger brooder, and at first Speck was running around and pecking at things, but now is mostly sleeping.
It’s discouraging because she had been doing so much better. Speck is the one in the front right
7C5A25AC-0EBD-4678-B690-109B043C8CBC.jpeg

Well after posting I started wondering: if Speck has poor vision, moving into a different brooder might have been too stressful and confusing. So I moved Speck and her pals back to their old box and put everything in the exact configuration it had been in. Almost immediately Speck started nibbling and acting more normal. After an hour Speck started eating a lot and eating from my hand again. So I don’t know if that was the problem but I won’t try to move her again for awhile.
Maybe I can just expand their current box without causing too much stress. I’m not too optimistic but I’m relieved to see Speck happy and eating again. I’ve been treating her eyes with teramyacin daily

Bless her heart you were right on top of it quick and sounds like you figured it out. Maybe just add on to the box they are in or put this box inside another one with one end cut open so they can come and go and Speck will still have everything like it was originally but they will have more room to move around, she will have to decide if she wants to stay where she is or venture into the rest of the new setup you have. When I had ducklings inside I cut down a box to put into the brooder and put shavings in on top of a folded pee pad boy did they love going in there to sleep piled on each other.

I think that is what I will do: add on another box somehow. Their heat plate is coming today and it won’t fit in their current box anyway. I don’t know if Speck will figure out how to use the heat plate so I’ll have to keep an eye on that.

Speck is busily eating this morning. Go Speck go!!!!

Back
Top Bottom