Duck foot injury on 3/29/19

So far i have been incredibly lucky (knocking on wood!) when it comes to foot injuries with my ducks. I have heart a lot about people using pine tar to cover wounds in all kind of fowl. It is a natural antibiotic, keeps the wound covered and protected.
Your duck's foot looks very dry, maybe she hasn't stepped into something sharp, maybe her skin just cracked? That would explain the lack of blood. As crazy as it may sound, i would try to rub some coconut-oil or Vaseline (unscented!) on her feet.

Pine Tar, now that is a new mention for me! Should we decide to try it, what would you reccomend, or how would we obtain it?

Now that you mention it— her feet do look pretty dry! I have been blinded by the boo-boo that I’ve been neglecting that as well. It’s definitely a possibility that her skin cracked; ouch! But then the “knot” at the joint just worries me and says otherwise. It’s not purulent at all which also throws me for a loop. :hmm

We have coconut oil! I’ll definitely be giving her a spa tomorrow. She deserves it! Thank you so much!

Pine Tar, now that is a new mention for me! Should we decide to try it, what would you reccomend, or how would we obtain it?

Now that you mention it— her feet do look pretty dry! I have been blinded by the boo-boo that I’ve been neglecting that as well. It’s definitely a possibility that her skin cracked; ouch! But then the “knot” at the joint just worries me and says otherwise. It’s not purulent at all which also throws me for a loop. :hmm

We have coconut oil! I’ll definitely be giving her a spa tomorrow. She deserves it! Thank you so much!
You are very welcome, we all have the well-being of our feathered friends in mind here!
Actually i got the idea of a skin crack from my wife: Her feet are too dry all the time and her feet do crack a lot. Very little to no bleeding, but way more painful than a real cut. And they are very hard to heal.
Just looked up "pine tar" on eBay and Amazon - there's ton's of products made out of that stuff, soap, shampoo and this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RNGW5C/?tag=backy-20
I believe that's what the neighbors use for their chickens. They put it on the wound, sprinkle some sawdust over it and let the hen loose. It will fall off by itself after some days and the procedure may need to be repeated until the foot is healed.

Thanks for the help @WannaBeHillBilly ! I'm going to hit the hay, but please keep us updated @LAllen1118 Good night! : )

You are very welcome, we all have the well-being of our feathered friends in mind here!
Actually i got the idea of a skin crack from my wife: Her feet are too dry all the time and her feet do crack a lot. Very little to no bleeding, but way more painful than a real cut. And they are very hard to heal.
Just looked up "pine tar" on eBay and Amazon - there's ton's of products made out of that stuff, soap, shampoo and this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RNGW5C/?tag=backy-20
I believe that's what the neighbors use for their chickens. They put it on the wound, sprinkle some sawdust over it and let the hen loose. It will fall off by itself after some days and the procedure may need to be repeated until the foot is healed.

You know, silly me... Pine tar doesn’t come from Pine trees :lau I sure do need my night sleep.

@WannaBeHillBilly my thoughts though— would cracked skin explain the swelling (knot), limping, and raw heat that happened the night I discovered it? I do feel bad poking and prodding around her poor toe and wound, but it is very stiff and favored. Something tells me it’s not just cracked skin. :hit

Back
Top Bottom